Bald rat eye problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmabeeee1996

my bald rat has been to the vet many times usually for other issues like sneezing. I brought him lately so the vet could pull gunk out of his eye, I thought it was tissue or something. He gets some kind of eye solution put in his eyes every night ( the vet prescribed it a while ago so I forget if it’s saline or something else) Anyways the problem is that the gunk in his eyes was not tissue because it keeps coming back - I’ve very carefully pulled the stuff out of his eye before but it’s hard to do! I don’t know what I’d do for him - it doesn’t seem to hurt but sometimes an eye will look a bit sunken in and that’s when I take a look and see that there’s a big chunk of red discharge in the corner of his eye - again it’s very hard to get out.if anyone has this problem let me know if it’s best to just leave it alone or if I’ll have to do something

Are they a true hairless or a double Rex.? If they're a true hairless it could be debris from the environment getting caught because he doesn't have the eye lashes like a furry rat.

He kinda has a moustache lol apart from that he’s completely bald. I use fleece bedding but maybe it’s still possible for dust to build up in his eyes? - I’m not sure, I was hoping fabric would be better than the other options when it comes to air quality and dust and all that. The vet told me he has inverted eyelids ( maybe that’s not exactly what she said) basically she said he’s got eyelids that kinda curl in a bit. So I think that’s the biggest problem, but even when I put the drops in his eyes every night he still has a lot of build up in his eyes so really not sure what I could do, my biggest question is if people think I should be taking him to the vet again to get it taken out. Thanks for the reply! If anyone has had this issue let me know :)

Nakies can have serious issues with debris getting stuck under the eyelids. The lid will start to look full and you might see the eye watering/squinting or excess porphyrin. Having a vet gas down your rat, remove the debris and flush the eye is best but using lubricating eye drops will help the eye for awhile and prevent the buildup being too fast. There's a few factors on what could be making it worse. Bedding you use, what fabric you use, furry cagemates. It's very very uncomfortable for them so if it seems to be building up beyond what you can get out, then use some pain relief until you can get your rat to the vet. For people not aware of this, leaving the debris could end up with the eye abraded enough to puncture the eyeball and them losing the eye. Some nakies have no eye issues and others have to have very special care. I took in a little rescue family I was told had "eye issues" and it turned out to be boxo stuck in and on their eyes. One boy had to have his eye surgically removed because it had ruptured.

Baby Yara when I got her (note the fuller looking lid)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/opahd0dxa5zt3fv/dec22Nakiegirl3.jpg?dl=0

Baby Yara after the debris was removed under light anesthesia. You can see how abraded it was
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf79pybopeciezs/dec30Yara.jpg?dl=0

Later on after drops twice a day and antibiotics
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jin01ecw9n1yt1y/jan28Yara3.jpg?dl=0

Thank you for the reply! I use fleece bedding, I put an air purifier near him and a humidifier because he’s near the heater too since he’s bald. He did not used to have this problem and not much has changed other than his cage mates who were always fluffy. I will post a picture. The build up is red like porphyrin and in the corner of his eye, his bottom lids get more full looking but his eye is never swollen shut but they do get a bit watery looking. I’m a bit discouraged since he just went to the vet a month or two ago to get it taken out, the vet did not recommend anything other than continue the drops but if once I post the pictures people think it’s bad enough to go again then I will definitely go! I’m just not sure if I’m being too worried or if it’s bad enough to go again! I’ll post a pic soon.

Here is what the vet gave me for him and a pic of his eye. He was squirmy so it’s not the best picture but you can see the build up in the corner and how his lid is a bit swollen looking. After analyzing I’m thinking I should definitely bring him to the vet again! And should I change his bedding or maybe the humidifier or the heater or something could be making it worse! Any tips for preventing this.

Attachments

• F7AA35BF-61F2-4B70-ADBA-C5BE74EB1A9D.jpeg
    F7AA35BF-61F2-4B70-ADBA-C5BE74EB1A9D.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 0EA41A9E-0E76-4BDA-8D8E-5CB437AD2124.jpeg
    0EA41A9E-0E76-4BDA-8D8E-5CB437AD2124.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
update! I just managed to take out a chunk of stuff from his eye. I thinks it’s fleece, so I’ll change the bedding, but to what type of bedding. I’ll try to do the other eye as well.

Attachments

• A4055E2B-E8DD-4982-8B61-6E42D4525B5B.jpeg
    A4055E2B-E8DD-4982-8B61-6E42D4525B5B.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 231
Good for you. Getting that out will give him a lot of relief. Try for the other eye if it needs it. The daily flushes will help keep this issue down as much as possible. See how long it takes to build up again and if its within a short time I can help you figure out the best fabrics etc. The Niagara Nakies (as I called Yara and her brothers) taught me a LOT with how to prevent the build ups.

Good for you. Getting that out will give him a lot of relief. Try for the other eye if it needs it. The daily flushes will help keep this issue down as much as possible. See how long it takes to build up again and if its within a short time I can help you figure out the best fabrics etc. The Niagara Nakies (as I called Yara and her brothers) taught me a LOT with how to prevent the build ups.

Thank you :) I did the other side too, at least now I know that I can do it myself. I’m really surprised that fleece was the cause of this but he really does enjoy making nests with the fabric so I’ll just have to find something else!!! Really don’t know what to try, if you have any suggestions i’d love to hear them for what bedding to try. It took about a month and a half for it to build up again. You really helped those ratties out, so lucky you helped them!! Yara looked a million times better in that last pic :) and so cute hehe

Last edited:
Could you try paper towels for nesting.? I'm not sure about the eye gunk for it but you could always try-

Could you try paper towels for nesting.? I'm not sure about the eye gunk for it but you could always try-

Yeah I’m wondering if paper would be better than fabric in terms of dust or getting stuck to his eyes!? No harm in trying that’s for sure :)) So far I’ve gotten rid of his fabric hammock and only put in those plastic huts that attach to the ceiling of the cage, he still has fleece for now because I don’t want him to be cold. When he’s not in his hammock he will drag anything soft and fluffy to his hut on the ground to make a nest and then I think he chews it and that’s when all that fluff gets in his eyes, so would paper do the same thing?! Maybe I’ll have to look into a material that when chewed does not break off into small fluffy particles, like a sleeping bag/ tent material - like a nylon material cause I'm thinking that wouldn't break off the same way - but that would not be absorbent at all and I wonder if he ingests some of he’d be okay - I’m trying to think outside the box here lol. Like if I put an alternative bedding like “yesterday’s news” and then for nesting give him a nylon fabric. Do you guys think that would be ok? It’s such a strange issue he’s having!

Would flannel work? Just a thought. You may have to keep an eye out for threads....

Would flannel work? Just a thought. You may have to keep an eye out for threads....
Would it be the same as fleece? I always thought they were kinda similar but I’m no expert :) I’ll look into it. If paper or flannel is better than fleece in terms of fluffiness when getting chewed than that would definitely be a much easier solution than my crazy ideas haha! I’ll just have to go to a fabric store or just try out a paper bedding from the pet store.

My nakies were incredibly prone to eye issues but it sounds like your lad should do okay with just daily flushes with drops. Most nakies do well with this regime.

I had to change my nakies hammocks to custom-made cotton sheet material with a high thread count to reduce lint. Paper towels isn't a good idea. I also used Vetbed for the bottoms of their cages and used either nothing or just a little Yesterday's News in the litter pans.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuzw70dqooyvb1e/jan13Yarascage.jpg?dl=0

The problem with any fabric other than fleece is strings/threads. It can wrap around a toe or foot and cut off the circulation to the point you need to amputate.

The problem with any fabric other than fleece is strings/threads. It can wrap around a toe or foot and cut off the circulation to the point you need to amputate.
Thank you! Super helpful! Since removing the fluff from his eyes he looks much better! I’ll try to find a custom hammock place or maybe I’ll attempt to make my own, he chews the hammocks that are lined with some type of fluffy material so I think that’ll help. I’ll try the vetbed stuff too! I’ll stay away from any weird material, didn't think of the strings being a hazard but I’m glad I know now! Hopefully this time he doesn’t get anything back in his eyes, if he does at least I’m more comfortable taking it out. Thank youuu

Back