Bad Rat/Surgery update/Rose update as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

So Lilly and Ivy's surgeries went well on Friday. Ivy ended up having two tumors removed, Dr. Cody was very nice and did not charge me any extra. Lilly was up an doing the drunk walk, but poor Ivy just laid there she looked so pitiful I wanted to cry. But anyways, they did well and were wide awake Saturday morning so I put them in the FN with the other girls that Saturday night. Everything went well I noticed that Ivy had begun to pick her staples out. I wasn't to worried about it because he used glue and staples so I thought if she got the staples out it would stay glued shut.

Well I was wrong the little stinker had the incision on lower belly wide open this morning, so she is back at the vet this morning. I think that I will keep her in the ISO-tank for at least a week so I know that it is just her and not someone assisting her in taking the staples out. She will just get free range time with everyone every night.

Lilly's staples are just fine but I did notice last night that Flower kept trying to grab at Ivy's staples. Flower will get a hold of my earring and hang on for dear life. So I wonder if that is what happen. Lilly is more defensive about her incision and will not let anyone near it.

Oh and I got my FN up and going waiting on my Kat's Rat Mats to get in and then I will post pics ASAP.

Rose is doing well with bath tub intros with both of the new kids. Willow has even pinned Rose down several times. I will continue this until this weekend and then attempt to move the intros to the free range area and see how that goes. I have to be careful with this because poor sunflower is so scared of Rose but last night she was actually following her around and playing with her so I just have to prevent rose from attacking her and hopefully she will come out of her shell. Willow could care less about being attacked, in fact I think she likes it she tries to pick fights all the time in the tub and Rose just deals with it so, Fingers and tails crossed everything goes well.

I hope Ivy doesn't pull those staples out again! I'm glad to hear, otherwise it's going well. Willow sounds funny liking to get in fights, hehehe.

That's the big concern with rats and surgery... picking at the wound.
My vet uses only the glue, it has been our experience that staples and stitches causes the rats to pick at them. It must be uncomfortable for them. You'll need to keep a close watch on Ivy. If you do separate her for a week, maybe you could make sure she has daily out times with her girls. Depression is not something you want in a rat after surgery.

What great news for Rose and the little ones. Keeping my fingers crossed for it to continue to go good!!!

Yeah, she will definitely get to get out every night with everyone for free range time, I may even put Lilly in with her to keep her company that way I will not have to worry so much about them picking at her staples as well. It is a lesson learned, I should have kept them alone together for a few days to let the incision heal, now I know better. If she starts to pick at them again I will just take the staples out since he uses glue and staples. Can you buy the glue at a pharmacy? or is a vet only thing? It would be handy to have it around, I wonder if I can reapply it to make sure the incision stays shut?

They use surgical skin glue, and it actually releases heat and burns when it is curing which is why its usually only used when the animal is under anesthetic. At least the stuff we have around here.

Glad that Rose and Willow seem to be getting along a bit better!

And lots of healing vibes for your post-surgery girls.

Lise said:
They use surgical skin glue, and it actually releases heat and burns when it is curing which is why its usually only used when the animal is under anesthetic. At least the stuff we have around here.
Ow!!

Melissa said:

haha I don't think it's that bad... but you can't tell an animal, especially a rat, "Okay, this is going to hurt a bit but you have to hold completely still". :)

Hope the girls are doing well today!

Lise said:
Melissa said:

haha I don't think it's that bad... but you can't tell an animal, especially a rat, "Okay, this is going to hurt a bit but you have to hold completely still". :)
lol, ya i only wish.

Then i'd be telling them to clean their own cage and get their own food. :p

Oboy, do you ever have your hands full, eh?

I dunno if you should be picking out the staples and re-gluing wounds yourself, should you? Not knocking your abilities, but maybe phone the vet and see what kind of aftercare is included? My boy Alfred had a neuter and I did get one free checkup after - even before the vet knew that I'd be coming back and spending about $250 on subsequent problems :evil:

I hope everybody sorts out ok. Sounds to me like you deserve a bed day.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry overly much about it. I'm assuming both girls are on meds after their surgery? If they are, that will help fight any infection that may start up. At most you may have an abscess to deal with.

My vet used only staples when my girls had their spay. Penn was a good girl, left her incision alone for the most part. My girl Mac, though, had picked every single staple out by the time we had even gotten home. You could see straight down to the internal stitches. Of course it all landed on an odd day where my vet would be closed one day and out the day after. By the time my vet was back in, Mac's incision was healed over.

Rats heal amazingly fast, even deep cuts and such heal over within a few days with proper care.

I won't let my vet use staples any longer unless its in a particular place that really needs it. I found that my rats would pick at their staples aggravating the wound. With pain management and glue and internal stitches, I found you only needed to get them thru the first night after surgery without picking anything out or open.

I find that stapled incisions take longer to heal, and then they are removed at 5-7 days and then that has to heal as well. By then a glued incision is completely closed and "healed".

Just my opinion. :)

I agree lilspaz Ivy has one incision that all of the staples fell out but it was glues as well and it looks almost completely healed, next time it will be glue only. This morning Lilly had her tongue caught in a loose staple and I had to cut it off. It was traumatic more for me than I think it was for Lilly, once she was free she went straight for the cheerios.

Back