Bad intro

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we got a baby rat so ninko would have a friend eventually and I'm an idiot for this whole situation but they were sniffing each other through something where they couldn't get each other but could still see and smell. The little one would let out a squeak every now and again but I was told a little squeaking is okay.. they seemed to be doing good so I brought the baby out.. ninko was sniffing him and I don't know if the baby got scared or what but he attacked. In turn ninko went back at him, and I was not prepared at all so I quickly grabbed them and pulled them apart. Well baby jumped super high and fast back at ninko. I blocked and next thing you know ninko is latched onto my hand. I know he didn't mean it he's a good boy and so is the baby. But everytime I let ninko near little man's box he starts squeaking like he's scared.. my hand is in very bad shape. It's numb but throbbing still and super swollen like it's continuously getting bigger.. I don't know what to do. I can't open my hand, so another go at them seeing each other seems even more dumb wgen i can barely do anything. I'm literally texting with the phone laying on my arm and pecking the keys with my good hand. Any advice?

How many days did you leave their cages close to each other before moving them to touching distance?

It's no fun for anyone when intros go badly. Sorry to hear you got chomped. :(

Don't rush intros. Let them get used to each other's scents for a couple of weeks before trying intros. How old is each rat?

Back