Bad breath? UPDATE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

For the past week I have noticed that Lilly's breath smells like POO, very strong smell. :sick2: Last night I sniffed everyone's mouths and nothing they all smell nice and fruity except for Lilly.

Lilly is about 26 months now and has had two bouts of bloat and severe gas.

So I am wondering if I need to have her mouth checked out. I tried to look in there but man is she a fighter and I got no where other than pissing her off for the rest of the night. :redhot:

I have only ever had one rat who had bad breath and she was about 30 months and on her last few days. It was suggested by my vet that she probably had an infected absess in her sinuses. I'm not saying thats what your girl has or anything but its deffinately not normal for a rat to have bad breath. I would suspect there might be an infection of some sort going on. Have you looked in her mouth to see if there is anything funky looking?

From the glimpse I got into her mouth I did not see anything. But I do not want to rule anything out. Rose goes to get her tumors removed on Monday so she will go and get looked at as well.

I hope Lilly is ok!!! The poor, little, lady!

If the smell is that bad for you, imagine what having a "poo" mouth must taste like for her!!! :(

My rats also HATE having their incisors checked! Fortunately, my boys haven't yet had any bad breath issues so my only concern is that their incisors could be growing too long. (After Jerry's incisor related death, I have become really anal about checking their incisors!!!)

I can usually check their incisors by holding up a treat, where they have to go on their hind legs to reach it, and looking at the incisor length while they are looking up. This helps prevent Ben from being a crabby @$$hole for the rest of the day. :giggle:

Please let us know how Lilly progresses and give her scritches for me! (Head scritches will do.... I don't want to subject you to any more :sick2: than is already necessary!) :hugs:

Melissa's ZOO said:
Ok, then that means she needs to get checked out. How did you fix it? With abs?

I'm afraid it didn't end well for Jevy. We tried meds but he had to be PTS. Good luck for your girl.

My rat Ginger had bad breath caused by a growth at the back of his mouth. Is Lilly swallowing normally?

Mamarat I am sorry it did not work out for Jevy.

Lilly swallows normally and eats like she is starving to death. She will rip the HT blocks from my hand and when I go to put the dinner bowl in she grabs it with a vengeance like she has not eaten in days. But she is not skinny she just loves her food. She has gotten very possessive over her toys, food and cage since she has gotten older.

I took Lilly in this morning with Rose, she is getting two tumors removed.

Of course I take her in and her breath does not smell. He looks in her mouth sees nothing. So for safe measure we are putting her on Baytril and Doxy for three weeks. She has always been sneezy and it has never progressed from there. But he would like to see if we can clear the sneezes up if so then she may need to be on meds for the rest of her life.

I wonder if the old women just eats poo every night before she comes to play with me? Her way of deterring Mom from kissing her to death? Who knows. But we will give the meds a try.

Once Rose (19months) recovers from her surgery she is moving to the top level of the FN with the old ladies as she is starting to slow down a bit and when playtime rolls around she goes and sleeps with Lilly for awhile before coming out to play so I believe this is her way of telling me it is time to retire to the life of non-chaos with the older ladies.

You may be onto something with Lilly eating poo...

I had the pleasure, yesterday, of seeing Roquefort coming out of the "clubhouse" with a turd in his mouth. :sick2:

Pardon me while I toss my cookies...

Actually I am currently laughing so hard that I'm worried that my mascara will wash away and that my colleagues will think I am a nut case.

I haven't yet figured out if I am laughing from being grossed out or being tickled pink that it may not only be my precious little ratman who does such things. :laugh4:

I think I need to go put my face back together. :wink:

Mine get Harlan and Oxbow. It may have something to do with it. I know that they eat some poo because they do not receive certain nutrients when the food is processed the first time so they will re-process it. Kind of gross but they do what they have to do, no real way to stop it. =)

Thanks Jo, the removals have become so standard to me that I do not worry to much. But when I get to the vet to drop them off, I get a little teary eyed when I say bye. Just knowing any surgery is a risk is bad enough.

Back