Back injury? tail spasms

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, I just had my rats out when all of a sudden I noticed Simon's tail looked like...it was moving by itself? Like he was trying to, but had no control over it. I've seen rats wriggling their tail and this isn't it. He's tail makes very sudden movements so he kinda loses balance. Like he is trying to make a slight movement but has very little control over it and his tail is just all over the place. I touched his back and tail and he doesn't seem to be in pain. His jumping and running around the room and eating. I'm not sure if a vet could be much help in this situation? I was thinking of placing him on a one level cage in case he sprained something or hurt his back and keep an eye on him? I have some metacam in hand if necessary. If I see he is getting worse I'll definitely take him in. He is an old boy btw. According to his fosterer from where I adopted him, he should be around 2,5 - 3 years old. He is developing slight HLD, not sure if that could be related. If anyone has any advice on what to do in this situation or on what this might be please let me know ! Thank you
I uploaded a video to YouTube:

His missing fur from his back because he had a skin infection, he's hair is taking a while to grow back.

Last edited:
I would definitely start with some Metacam just in case there's inflammation pressing on spinal nerves causing these spasms and see how he goes from there.
Thank you! I'll give him it tonight. Do you have any idea of how long he should be on it for to take care of a possible inflammation?

Back