Back in the market

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn_C

Hi everyone,

I've been rat-less for about six years now, needing a break from the heartache of short lifespans and URIs/tumors!

I've been looking for the right fit for a year now. I was spoiled in my rescue days, typically adopting blind and winding up with the best shoulder rats. I even talked with a breeder hoping that would land me a guaranteed match but it seems more blind than ever.

I have a rare opportunity to drive from Orangeville area this upcoming week (I'm normally based in Toronto relying on transit). If anyone knows of a shoulder rat or two looking for a home, please let me know! I'm about to go through the forum's postings, but wanted to put this out there.

I do need to limit this to either a lone rat that simply won't integrate with a group (rare but I know it exists), or two. My preference has always been dumbo but my filter ends around there.

I would look for boys if you want a shoulder rat. Only my oldest girls will sit still on my shoulder.

If you're looking for calmer rat who'd love being a shoulder rat, I'd suggest males. As babies, they're extremely hyper (ie running laps around their DCN cage in about two seconds), but they generally calm down pretty fast, especially with regular handling. Still, if you find a great rescue with some females or calmer males, ultimately I would suggest them over getting new babies.
As SQ mentioned, this forum has various Kijiji ads of rats needing new homes. Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook, Petfinder, etc. are great sites for finding rats that need a new home, and Petfinder can help you locate a rat/rodent rescue near you.

Back