Baby rat not eating nor drinking

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just adopted the cutest, sweetest, Tonkinese girl about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She got the new home sneezes pretty soon after arriving but what really worries me is her eating habits (or lack there of). She hardly eats any solid food. I've tried three different types of blocks (essentials oxbow baby and adult rat, and mazuri) without much success. She hardly drinks any water, either. I've been trying to feed her a water and block mash and pediasure to get some liquids and solids into her, but again, she usually doesn't eat much of it.
Her sneezes are also starting to get worse. She sounds congested, but when I took her to the vet, they said her lungs sound fine. They gave me medicine anyway because she's been acting so sick (and I've of course been having trouble getting her to take her medicine). I'm worried that her lack of nutrition is weakening her immune system.
She is currently living in the quarantine cage by herself. I know she has to be stressed, so I want to introduce and move her in with the rest of my rats as soon as possible. But if she's sick, I don't want to infect the rest of my mischief :(

My main concerns are getting her to eat and drink, and getting her settled with her new rat family. If anyone has any advice or insights, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!

Update: She is still super congested and dehydrated. I've been able to get 4mL of pediasure and a half mL of tuna water into her since I woke up (~6hrs ago). She was really cold this morning, so I put her on my bed, under a blanket, and she feels warmer, now. I think my coming and going stresses her out, so I've just been going into my room every 45-60 minutes to offer her some pediasure, water, a treat or two, and some pets if she is interested. She is still refusing the medicine (0.07 mL of TMS every 12 hours). I know it tastes gross, so I've tried hiding it. The things I've tried are: pediasure, applesauce, peanut butter, ketchup, strawberry jam, mashed banana, meat baby food, and fruit/veggie baby food, but she always refuses it. I'm worried that the more I try to get her to take the medicine, the more she will refuse any food or water I offer her.

A side note about the medicine. I've never been given TMS (Trimethoprim Sulfa) for my rats before. I just guessed that it was because she is so young (10 weeks). However, after some research, it looks like TMS isn't very effective against mycoplasma and is more often used in treating UTI's and other infections. I don't know why my vet would give me a drug that doesn't fight mycoplasma. I'm wondering if I should call and ask for a different prescription, because this one isn't working. I'm fact, she's gotten worse since taking it :(

I'm so flustered. Any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

I’m so sorry you have to go through this! Could you maybe post a photo or video so we could get an idea of what she physically looks like? Does she look skinny? I’m worried and if it were my rat, I would go to another vet for a second opinion as she sounds like she’s not doing well and the vet seemed to just let it go. I don’t have a whole lot of advice except keep trying to give her more fluids and food because she needs it to fight off whatever it is she’s got. i had a similar experience with a FTT baby and there was nothing I could do but it sounds like maybe she’s just uncomfortable from whatever is causing her to be ill and maybe that’s what’s stopping her from eating. I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Thank you so much for your advice!! I can post a photo or video in a little bit. I just fed her and she curled up to go back to sleep and I want her to rest.

I called my vet back yesterday and asked for a different prescription. After explaining her symptoms over the phone, they said they think it is probably mycoplasmosis and prescribed me Baytril (0.05 mL every 12 hours) and Vibramycin (0.05 mL twice daily). I gave her the first dose last night and she ate it with no issue (thank goodness!). Overall, I was able to get 9 mL of pediasure into her yesterday. I'm using a bigger syringe and aiming for at least 10 mL today.

She is very skinny. I can feel her spine and see her hip joints. Yesterday, she was having some trouble getting around. It looked like her back legs were very weak. She was working very hard to breathe and panicked a few times when I think she couldn't breathe. Her breathing was still laboured but calmer after I let her hide under my blanket for a couple hours. This morning, however, while I still hear clicking, her breaths seem less desperate. Overall, she is acting closer to normal. She was sleeping in her favorite spot in the cage (rather than an oddly random spot like yesterday) and drank 2 mL of pediasure before grooming herself and curling back up. She very happily accepted some pets from me and bruxed, boggled, and groomed my hand in return. She also felt warmer to the touch.

I'm going to continue with her new meds and offering her pediasure every 45-60 minutes. I was so distraught yesterday; I thought for sure she wasn't going to make it. But today, I feel more hopeful.

Here is a photo and video I got of her. Her name is Nila, by the way. You can't hear the clicking very well in the video, but it also comes and goes. You can see how skinny she is, though. As of right now, she's had two doses of her new prescription (last night and this morning) and I've gotten 4 mL of pediasure into her since this morning.
PXL_20210413_144900686_exported_6063.jpg

This sounds so stressful - I'm so sorry! When I've had rats who went off their food as adults, I found establishing a bit of a feeding schedule can be helpful. Just like humans, rats' hunger/desire to eat can be influenced by environmental cues. Even if she doesn't eat every time, starting with a 3 hour timer or something where you attempt feeding at set times/intervals may help you disturb her less while also helping her body expect to eat at set times. It sounds like you're working with the yummiest foods, so hopefully it works soon! If the rat is a groomer sometimes I will put a bit of whatever I am trying to feed them on the backs of their paws or on their nose to get them licking and sniffing, particularly if the rat is very lethargic or ill. However, since you're noting respiratory distress I'd stay away from the nose and maybe stick to paws if you do think she'll lick them clean. Oh also I have no idea why but like every sick rat I've ever had adores peas, and has the silly habit of peeling the skin off. Most of my rats haven't liked baby food and having tasted it myself with my nephew, I don't blame them :p A BIG thing I'd say if you're this worried about feeding is value calories over whether it's the perfect most balanced and healthy meal. Scrambled eggs and peas are NOT a long term diet, but if it gets her appetite going that's much more important and those two foods are generally the favourites in my house.

As for the vet problem I know finding a good exotics vet is TOUGH but I would a) call the vet out and ask why they chose that drug and b) maybe look for a new one. Not fun, but it doesn't sound like they took you as seriously as you or your baby deserved.

This sounds so stressful - I'm so sorry! When I've had rats who went off their food as adults, I found establishing a bit of a feeding schedule can be helpful. Just like humans, rats' hunger/desire to eat can be influenced by environmental cues. Even if she doesn't eat every time, starting with a 3 hour timer or something where you attempt feeding at set times/intervals may help you disturb her less while also helping her body expect to eat at set times. It sounds like you're working with the yummiest foods, so hopefully it works soon! If the rat is a groomer sometimes I will put a bit of whatever I am trying to feed them on the backs of their paws or on their nose to get them licking and sniffing, particularly if the rat is very lethargic or ill. However, since you're noting respiratory distress I'd stay away from the nose and maybe stick to paws if you do think she'll lick them clean. Oh also I have no idea why but like every sick rat I've ever had adores peas, and has the silly habit of peeling the skin off. Most of my rats haven't liked baby food and having tasted it myself with my nephew, I don't blame them :p A BIG thing I'd say if you're this worried about feeding is value calories over whether it's the perfect most balanced and healthy meal. Scrambled eggs and peas are NOT a long term diet, but if it gets her appetite going that's much more important and those two foods are generally the favourites in my house.

As for the vet problem I know finding a good exotics vet is TOUGH but I would a) call the vet out and ask why they chose that drug and b) maybe look for a new one. Not fun, but it doesn't sound like they took you as seriously as you or your baby deserved.
Thank you for your response and advice! I was trying to feed/check on her every 45 minutes, but it definitely seemed like I was disturbing her. I think I will adjust the time to every 2.5 to 3 hours and see how it goes. Maybe if she is hungry before I get there, she may even eat something on her own! I've been putting banana, avocado, and scrambled eggs near her little hidey hole so she can easily access them, if desired. So far, she has only taken bites out of the banana. I will try the peas, though!! She hasn't touched any of the dehydrated peas I've offered her, but perhaps fresh peas will entice her.
She is also definitely a groomer! I was worried she was an over-groomer when I first got her. I will try putting some high calorie foods on her paws (probably the avocado to give her some healthy fats).
Thanks so much for the tips! I will update again in the morning!

A side note about the medicine. I've never been given TMS (Trimethoprim Sulfa) for my rats before. I just guessed that it was because she is so young (10 weeks). However, after some research, it looks like TMS isn't very effective against mycoplasma and is more often used in treating UTI's and other infections. I don't know why my vet would give me a drug that doesn't fight mycoplasma. I'm wondering if I should call and ask for a different prescription, because this one isn't working. I'm fact, she's gotten worse since taking it

oh dear it sounds like the vet you saw is not up to date on how to treat rats, you are right TMS isn't very effective for resp infections in rats, you can buy the appropriate antibiotics (doxy and baytril) from places that sell bird or fish supplies, like this one ladygouldianfinch.com - Shop for Bird Medications There are others as well like Jedds etc
it's the same meds just available online. Many of us keep these meds on hand because we dont' want to have to wait to treat a sick rat and when you order online, you often have to wait up to a week or so
Your best bet is to get a vet with experience who will Rx the correct meds right away.

Your girl sounds very sick, some times when a rat has a severe resp infection there wont' be any lung sounds because they are basically not moving much air. A foster rat I recently got in was like this, she was cold, dehydrated and very ill. We got her on meds right away and in about 10 days she was doing much better but she needs to be on meds for a long time, maybe for the rest of her life.

Rats lose weight because eating is difficult when you can't breathe properly, and they are also using up all their energy to try to breathe and fight off the infection. My sick girl would only eat the baby food off my fingers at first, held up to her so she didnt' need to put her head down. Now she can eat from a little dish.

good luck with your sweetie!!

oh dear it sounds like the vet you saw is not up to date on how to treat rats, you are right TMS isn't very effective for resp infections in rats, you can buy the appropriate antibiotics (doxy and baytril) from places that sell bird or fish supplies, like this one ladygouldianfinch.com - Shop for Bird Medications There are others as well like Jedds etc
it's the same meds just available online. Many of us keep these meds on hand because we dont' want to have to wait to treat a sick rat and when you order online, you often have to wait up to a week or so
Your best bet is to get a vet with experience who will Rx the correct meds right away.

Your girl sounds very sick, some times when a rat has a severe resp infection there wont' be any lung sounds because they are basically not moving much air. A foster rat I recently got in was like this, she was cold, dehydrated and very ill. We got her on meds right away and in about 10 days she was doing much better but she needs to be on meds for a long time, maybe for the rest of her life.

Rats lose weight because eating is difficult when you can't breathe properly, and they are also using up all their energy to try to breathe and fight off the infection. My sick girl would only eat the baby food off my fingers at first, held up to her so she didnt' need to put her head down. Now she can eat from a little dish.

good luck with your sweetie!!
Thank you for the advice and well-wishes! I did end up calling the vet back and asking for Baytril and doxy, and they wrote me an Rx. She's been on that combo since Monday and I think she's looking better. Her breathing, while still strained, seems to be relaxing. I've implemented a 3-hour feeding schedule (thanks for the great idea @SoupChef ) and she's taken to it very well. I even got her to drink 16.25 mL today! Which is a big improvement from the 9 mL I struggled to get into her on Monday. She's also behaving a bit more normal: grooming herself (and my hand 💖) after she eats; making a proper nest with her nesting material, instead of just awkwardly sitting on top of whatever I happen to set her down on.

I do have doxy on hand, but I just learned that it expires?? So, I wasn't sure I should give it to her because I've had it for a while (probably close to 9 months). I also ordered some Baytril that should get here by Friday (from an Arizona store allbirdproducts.com -- they were very nice and the shipping seems pretty fast, so I'd recommend it).

And I'm glad your girl is doing much better! Hopefully Nila gets there, too!

She is currently living in the quarantine cage by herself. I know she has to be stressed, so I want to introduce and move her in with the rest of my rats as soon as possible. But if she's sick, I don't want to infect the rest of my mischief.
How long should I wait to introduce her to my mischief? Does anyone know how long she is likely to be contagious?
Since she's so young, her symptoms are more likely from a secondary infection, rather than just mycoplasma. She seems to be reacting well to the antibiotics, so my guess is it is probably another bacterial infection.

She has been in the quarantine cage by herself for almost three weeks now, so I want to get her in with some rat buddies as soon as possible. I haven't had any luck finding the answer to this question online, so any advice is welcome!!
Also, thank you to everyone who has responded so far! Your help is greatly appreciated! 💖

I don't know, are they all in the same room now?
if so, they were never actually quarantined so you could start intro's right away

a proper quarantine involves at least a separate room/air space because these are air born viruses as I understand it

I don't know, are they all in the same room now?
if so, they were never actually quarantined so you could start intro's right away

a proper quarantine involves at least a separate room/air space because these are air born viruses as I understand it
They are in the same room about 10 feet apart from each other (I unfortunately do not have a proper quarantining room). I am following other quarantining protocol, however: washing my hands, blowing my nose, and changing my clothes after working with Nila. So, if whatever bacteria that is causing the secondary infection can be transferred via touch or fecal matter, etc., the quarantine would most likely be successful.

I'm also pretty sure that an infection that affects the lungs is probably spread through the air, but I don't know enough about medicine nor biology to know for sure.

Thank you for the resources! I think you're right. So, I will start introductions as soon as Nila is back in good spirits (or at least has put on enough weight where if someone sleeps on her she won't be crushed)!

Thanks again for all of the help!! I really appreciate it 😊🐀🌻

oh gosh I forgot you said this is a baby, how old? I believe you want to wait til the baby is at least 10 weeks old before you do intro's with older rats (if the others are the same age, no need to wait)
I rarely have rats this young myself so you want to double check with others

or put in the search section on this site, introducing babies to other rats, something like that

how much does your little one weigh?

She is about 12 weeks old now. I've done intros with babies and adults before and it's usually easier than introducing adults to other adults 😂 less personality to deal with.

She's about 120g and definitely small for her age. I want to make sure she can hold her own in case one of the older girls decides to pick on her.

Back