Baby rat behavior?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lydiaapril

I have about two month old baby rats currently and I’m fine with however they act, whether they are more curious or more cuddly, but I am wondering when they start behaving older and less jumpy? I have males which I know tend to be calmer. What’s everyone’s experience with how baby rats act as opposed to adult rats and when does that start? I can’t find much online about it. Would just like to know more about them. I am also well aware rats will be very curious and more outgoing throughout their whole life :)

Babies have way more energy, and tend to get into things more. That's not to say older ones have no energy, and don't get into things. There's a chart showing the equivalent of a rat's age in human years. That may help you understand better. I have 3 boys, 2 are almost 2, and 1 is only about 6 months old. He can run circles around my older boys. They tend to get a little lazy, and after exploring a bit, they are happy to lay in my lap, or perch on my shoulder. I'm kinda like their safe spot. I think after the initial getting to know you phase, they will be a little calmer and cuddlier. But all rats are different. o one may settle down, and they other may always be shy.

Rat growth chart

0772E5AE-105C-4CDC-8634-EC5997B3D730.jpeg

My males tend to calm way down around a year of age, I've noticed. I have babies who are about four months old. They still wrestle with everyone, pester each other, scamper off and roughhouse, etc. My one is deciding he wants to move up the hierarchy and is challenging my older males for their social position.

Back