Baby hamster photo diary - THE END!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yes, the hubby finally discovered the hammies ... and it took him practically two weeks! Fortunately he's not too upset, especially once he saw the ittybitties ... although he's currently under the impression that I'm taking them back to the rescue today. Ehee ...

April 11th: Day 7 - There's ELEVEN babies!!! Plus a bonus vid!!!

http://youtu.be/nJA7W-xwNCg

2014-04-11183420_zps3e2815b6.jpg

2014-04-11183355_zpse23e9de9.jpg

2014-04-11183341_zps9f66905f.jpg

2014-04-11183320_zpse35a3f4e.jpg

2014-04-11183234_zps22753beb.jpg

2014-04-11183226_zps2d92b2d9.jpg

Drats that your hubby finally noticed. But really, how mad can he be if you're just fostering. It's not like you adopted them, right?
How do hammies match up to rats in their development? Are they along the same timeline?

I just found this thread! Thats too funny that you hid them for a week. I could NEVER get away with that. Baby hammies are so cute! I am looking forward to more pictures! Thats also so great you were able to help out and foster them, thats something I have always wanted to do.

That is a lot of babies! it will be fun to watch them walk around and when their eyes open. They play so differently from baby rats it cracks me up to watch hammies. So I will be watching for those videos :)

I just found this thread! Thats too funny that you hid them for a week.

Hehe, it was nearly TWO weeks! That's definitely my record for sneaking hamsters in. Rats are sooo much easier!

Drats that your hubby finally noticed. But really, how mad can he be if you're just fostering. It's not like you adopted them, right?
How do hammies match up to rats in their development? Are they along the same timeline?

Well, actually, I am hoping to keep one of the babies. It'll be the first time ever that I'll finally know that actual birthday of a pet. As for development, this is also the first time that I've raised baby hamsters from day one - the other two litters I helped out with were several days old-ish by the time they came to me. And I've never worked with baby rats - sounds a whole lot more fun than "hands-off" hamsters, but that would be something the hubby definitely wouldn't be happy with (bigger, takes more room and energy, and the HIGH probability that I'd keep them all).

April 12th: Day 8 - So the aunties, Flora and Merryweather, are now at the adoption outpost, and hopefully they'll find their forever homes soon. Good timing actually since the rescue hasn't had any adoptable syrians in a while. The ladies can't wait til my babies are ready. Speaking of which ... *TWITCH* Its becoming ridiculously difficult to resist touching these little rascals!

2014-04-12182254_zps97349138.jpg

2014-04-12182239_zps5d9b8d78.jpg

2014-04-12182224_zps904b715a.jpg

2014-04-12182212_zpsc5a50daf.jpg

oh they are so sweet looking, and soft looking and so.............I can just imagine how hard it is not to touch them!!

funny except for the tiny tails, they look a lot like baby rats. Only half baked LOL seriously amazes me that animals with so much more growing and changing to do are outside of the mom

They are so cute, but I don't know how you resist touching them. I have had the pleasure of helping raise two litters of ratties, and holding them was a big part of the enjoyment.

Surprising enough it is very easy to resist touching them when you know momma will eat them if you do. The first time you do touch them it is nerve wrecking because you dont know how momma will react to them. :)

April 13th: Day 9 - Egads, the fur is really starting to come in. You can even see the widdle whiskers! Momma is starting to get a bit stir-crazy from all that nursing, but she's still being attentive. And here's a clip of the babies squeaking so punch up the volume - visual quality is horrible, but you can kinda see Fauna's nips and a couple of pups.

April 14th: Day 10 - Hehe, momma really needed a break last night, so I set up a playpen with the cage in it, and she was able to stretch her legs while keeping an eye on the little ones. The hubby seems resigned to the fact that Fauna and her pups are staying for a while, especially now that the babies look more like hamsters than naked aliens. He even helped with the lighting when I attempted to take the video.

April 15th: Day 11 - Ahhhh, the babies eyes are on the very brink of opening. So so sooooo hard to resist touching them til then. And I caught one trying to nibble on solid food. *HEADSPLODE* Can any of you spot the baby hamster tongue in one of the piccies?

2014-04-15212549_zps0dbfd149.jpg

2014-04-15212336_zpsa8b049d4.jpg

2014-04-15212259_zps3f3bbd74.jpg

2014-04-15212131_zpsb4dfbf13.jpg

2014-04-15212115_zps38c6a109.jpg

Ummm lol it's hard not to spot it! He looks like he's tasting something good in the air. Or maybe dreaming about suckling?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Back