babies sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caitlin

Hi everyone :) I recently adopted 3 baby boys at 6 weeks old and they’re now around 10 weeks. I also have a solitary elderly male, James, who doesn’t live with them as he has severe breathing problems which i’m treating but I don’t want him to pass it onto them. They’ve never met him but today I heard one of the boys sneeze once or twice and now I’m worried. I’ve had this before with James and his brother William who died from his breathing problems so maybe I’m extra cautious. The boys are still eating/drinking completely fine and they’re very active but I just wanted to come on here and ask if any sneezing at all is normal or should I be concerned? Also not sure if it’s worth adding but when they sniff my hand it’s slightly damp and I can’t remember if it’s always been like that? Like I said I only heard one of them sneeze once but I’m getting myself worked up because of what’s happened in the past with my rats 😅any advice or tips appreciated

There are few contagious respiratory issues with rats. There are some nasty rat viruses going around but with a week or 2 you know you have been exposed to it (usually new rats coming in) but even then these viruses shed the body forever after a week and are technically no longer contagious. If your older boy has been treated he most likely has a weaker immune system but he himself is not contagious and can have friends.

As for the newbies sneezing on and off its pretty normal unless it's excessive and they are showing another symptom of illness like persistent porphyrin, any noises while breathing, looking ill.

Thanks for the reply :) James is nearly three and he’s had the sneezing and breathing problems since he was around nine months and has been on and off antibiotics. I originally got the babies for him so he could have some friends but he took a turn for the worse and the vet advised me to keep him by himself sadly :( and about the babies thank you for putting my mind at rest haha it’s getting pretty cold here now in England so I’m trying to keep them warm in any way I can so they don’t get a cold.

if he's a sweet old man he might love some younger company. Some oldies adore annoying babies, others don't. If he's very elderly and gets tired a lot he might need breaks from energetic monkeys so I am glad you got 2 babies :D

He’s a very timid and gentle boy but he spends most of his time sleeping at the minute:) i’ll definitely think about introducing them

Back