Babies and mom have URI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I'm positive they all have a URI. This morning a lot of them were sneezing and make gurggly noises. A few of them have poly on their noses.

How do I treat them? They are 3 weeks old tomorrow.

I'm in Ottawa right now as well. Is there something I can get here?

When you call for the appointment and the meds let them know that mom has a little at home and you are just bringing mom in for the checkup but babies have the same symptoms. Most times the vet is ok with you just bringing in the average weght for the babies and they will give you a main dosage for all or you can bring mom and one baby for the vet to see that babies are also sick. My vet is usually ok with my judgement if they are all doing the same thing and does not need to see them all, just one.

You brought the babies and mom with you right? I wonder if it's just the stress of the trip and she might settle down once she's back home?

You might want to check with your vet too.
My vet charges for his time so if it only takes up one visit, that is what I get charged with ... so I usually take in groups of rats. At the very min., I take in the sick rattie and at least one friend for company.
The vet might want to see the babies, but should not charge extra for them.

I know that some vets do charge per rat ... had to take in 6 rescue babies that were ill as they had been found in a local park ... cardboard box in the water :( . One vet was going to charge me $45 per baby. Needless to say, we didn't go there.

Back