babies and bath-time

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

Ever since I can remember, my rats have hated being in water. I know there are rats out there that like it or can at least tolorate it, but mine alway panic as soon as they get in the tub.

I really want a rat that likes water though, so I want to do some experimenting with my new girls to encourage them that water can be fun!

I've never actually put a young rat in water before(I alway waited until they were older). But if I put toys in the bath as well as some sort of safty platform so they could get out of the water if they wanted to, do you think there is a chance they would like it, or could come to like it? or are some rats just natually fearful of water?

I bet if you start them young and you do it regularly, they will come to enjoy it. Rats are great swimmers. Giving them a platform is important, it will help them feel more secure. Also, drop some peas and corn in the water. That will motivate them even more.

When I give my girls a bath I put just enough water in so that they can still stand in it. If you put them in where they have to swim constantly then I can understand the fear. I give my girls a bath once a month. Most of mine have dirty tails, especially my wheel runners.

They do a lot of fear pooping at first but then everyone gets over it and they usually end up grooming themselves by the end of the bath.

Sorry, I am so unclear on this as I asked about baths in the other forum but I think the conclusion was "do not bathe."

I'd love to get my girls in water too, but didn't it remove some vitamin from their coats? o_O

I don't recommend bathing, as in washing with soap or shampoo which will remove the much needed body oils. But allowing them to splash around in water is different.
If you think your rats won't get overly stressed out, then go for it! ...word of caution though, wear long sleeves. :wink:

Well that makes so much more sense. :D I'll certainly give it another go. And hear hear about the long sleeves! I need to wear them just to play with them (on dry land). :lol:

Back