average total vet bills for rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

creative animal lover

I know this is basically useless because it depends on the vet, but my vet has been frustrating me lately, I don’t really like calling people I prefer email. But I emailed one location they said the vet at the other one could treat rats, I get an email from that specific exotic vet and she said the one at the other location was the only one who could spay rats so I email that location and they say the original vet is the only one who would treat them/spay. So at this point I can’t even get a price much less a reliable vet.... btw I think it’s important to mention I do NOT have pet rats, in case anyone was concerned.

So I guess how much does the average rat cost throughout their life? I want to spay females because apparently this can practically prevent tumors entirely, much less if they got tumors I would have to do it anyways. But yea including medicine and EVERYTHING how much total health stuff? I am going to try and contact my vet, but I am so confused. Also does this fourum have vet listings? I know I have seen some where either here or on another rat site. I did search up “ rat listings” and it had like every state, but mine and I have been searching this fourum and others and I just can’t find anything. I live in the Colorado area and if anyone knows of a good vet I bet I would be able to drive. The vet I am looking at for rats is called Vida vet and they treat leopard geckos, hamsters, rats, and other exotics which is great because I own a gecko and Ham so I hope they could be good for rats too, although like I said I am open to anything.

My exotics vet is $45 usd just for the appointment. Most atiobiotics ranged for me $25 - $40.
I had two pretty healthy girls till i spent $350 on one girl for surgery for a tumor. That was after the 2nd year mark. But the range went all the way up to $575.

My boys on the other hand didnt have any issue up to the first year. I've probably spent over $500-$700 on just one of them since. The boys are now at the year 2 mark.

I completely understand the phone thing, I try to either email when it’s not urgent or get someone else to call for me if I really can’t do it.

The vet that I go to (in Canada) charges $130 for a neuter, so I would imagine a spay would be anywhere between $200 and $300, and I think that is somewhat typical. Each vet appointment for me is $80 to $100 because exotic appointments cost more. This is with meds/treatment of course! Some rats will need multiple vet appointments in their lifetime, some will need none. I would try to assume that you will need to take each rat to the vet at least once a month, just to be safe. Another great thing to do is have antibiotics on hand in case of emergency, lack of money, or if you know exactly what’s wrong. These should cost around $100 to order, but they will last a while and will cost less in American dollars. I would suggest having Baytril, doxycycline and amoxicillin on hand at all times. Baytril and doxy work well in combination, and amoxicillin is important for secondary infections such as pneumonia, ear infection, etc. Rats are quite expensive but most people will probably tell you that they’re worth it, which I would agree with!

…. well last week Rhys and Sandra (both seniors) had a vet appointment (a vet appointment is usually $45 to $65 at my vet but some places charge $100 or more just for the appointment) plus I had to buy them some medical supplies costing around $60 and then they need a 2 pills from the drugstore cost around $36 ….. today Clarke (who is less then a year old) needed her 3rd surgery in an 8 week period …. tomorrow Rhys and Sandra have a followup vet appointment and they need more antibiotics …… and I have to go to the drugstore in a few mins to pick them up more meds …… cost depends on the rat, what your vet charges, etc …. but rats are not inexpensive and by the time you notice a rat is ill, you are well into a medical emergency

It can definitely vary. One girl cost me around $1500 in less than a year. She had chronic respiratory problems, pneumonia twice, and a recurring facial abscess. 3 of my boys have been neutered, which is $170 at my vet. But most of my rats have cost me $0. If one is sick, I prepare to spend around $100 for the exam and meds. And then it’s been another $20-30 to get the meds refilled every couple weeks if needed.

Back