Atticus and Darwin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahodell17

I checked off my bucket list item of owning pet rats this past January when I found 2 rats at a Petsmart. I was told that one was about 4 mos., and the other 6 mos. I had planned to take them for a Vet check, but since they were not tame (and still do not like being held), I never did. They have been healthy w no issues. I’d like to have some meds on hand to get a jump start on any common medical issues that might come up. Recommendations? I did locate a vet that treats small animals, but I do not know how experienced they are w rats. I’m so happy to me a rat owner!

Congrats on your new family. Custard. Home made custard. It brings rats right to you. It's not a cure all but it will start them getting familiar with your hands and stimulate the licking of your hands. Best put on your top of your hand so no accidental nips. Once the associate the custard with licking you can put it on your fingers. Lots of gentle talking and petting while licking.

I too have a rat named Atticus. My boys like mashed potatoes or scrambled egg or puréed veggies. Your rats will likely get tamer if you bribe them with something very tasty!!

They are tame, esp. Darwin, who gets all excited and active when I enter the room (unless he’s zonked). They will lick treats and water off my fingers, climb on me, and Darwin enjoys pets at times. I am a caregiver of my elderly mother-in-law, I also have 2 horses and a dog. I don’t spend quite enough time w them, but am still making forward progress w taming. My question was if there are meds I should have on hand to be prepared for sniffles and whatever common ailments my rats may get as they age. My mother-in-laws UTI’s always seem to become apparent when her Dr’s office is closed. I remember reading on this site about meds, I don’t want to waste a lot of money having things I won’t need on hand, but want to have the ability to get a head start by having some commonly prescribed meds on hand til I can get them to a vet.

Congrats on your ratties.

It is essential to find a good vet, with the knowledge and experience to treat rats, or at least a vet who likes rats and is willing to learn. You need to do that asap! People may treat their rats until they can get to a vet, but it is essential to always take your rats to a good vet for diagnosis and correct treatment.

A digital scale with a tare function is essential for rat owners ..... to track weight, and because the amount of meds giving is always dependent on the weight of the rattie

First Aid Supplies Suggested: Health Guide: First Aid Supplies

People usually need to develop a good relationship with their vet in order to obtain meds to have on hand. Lilspaz68 can suggest some sources that are safe to use as when you buy meds online you may be getting expired meds, or not the meds you think you are getting.

IMO it is good to have baytril, azithromycin, clavamox, prednisone or dex, lasix, a bronchodilator, and Metacam on hand. It is also good to have your vet teach you how to give sub-Q fluids and sell you the equipment. 1 ml syringes for syringe feeding is also important. I find that having nonGMO or organic soy infant formula and organic baby cereal on hand is also a good idea. Also a pill cutter and a pill crusher.

You may find the info in our Reference Thread to be useful REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Last edited:
Congrats on your little guys. I also encourage you to develop a good relationship with a vet. If or when they get sick, you will want prescribed meds.

Thank-you for the advice. Do you recommend taking my little friends in to meet the vet, or just myself? I’ve just recently gotten Darwin to the point where I can pick him up without squeaking, and he is comfortable enough to take treats and allow me to place him on my shoulder and remain calm. Because they have not been comfortable being picked up, their cage is in a bathroom and they get the run of the bathroom. They are not used to being carried from room to room (yet). I would hate to have a big setback because of a trip to the vet when they are well.

This is a difficult time re covid and depending on where you are and the procedures in your country you might just want to schedule a time to meet with the vet after contacting vets and trying to find one that likes pet rats and has the knowledge and experience to treat them, or at least is willing to learn and to consult with other vets. I take new rats in for a wellness check to see if there are any problems or issues that need to be dealt with or if the rattie is healthy - but many people do not do that and it likely depends on cost.

BTW, It would help to put country and area, province, state etc in your profile, because location can matter as thongs can be different in different countries.

Back