Aspiration pneumonia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, the other day one of my babies started panicking and mouth breathing and had mucus blocking her throat and nose. She was moving her head like she was choking. I was going to take her to the emergency vet when she started to slowly look better and started breathing through her nose again. She made it through the night but was in bad shape in the morning. ( very cold and lethargic ). My exotics vet is a couple of hours away and we go by train, it's extremely hot outside atm and I don't want to put her through that while she's in this state so I took her to a nearby vet, they got an x-ray. In the x-ray there seemed to be something logged in the lung. They came to the conclusion it was a piece of food or so, which made sense cuz she seemed to be choking when the gasping and panicking started. We started treating for aspiration pneumonia with a cortisone shot, Baytril and Zithro. She spent three days after that looking good, like she was feeling better. Yesterday she went into respiratory distress, she was running in panick and mouth breathing, took her to the emergency vet, they weren't sure what else they could do for her so they gave her another steroid shot to give her more time and allow the antibiotics to start working. She was good as new in a couple of hours I'm guessing thanks to the shot. This was yesterday, today she isn't going great again, sometimes she will gasp for air, like her nose is blocked. Something she will gasp for air but her nose seems clean. I'm trying to keep her as still as possible, barely Interacting with her only to feed her, and she's in a small cage with nothing to climb on or anything cuz she gets short of breath so quickly. Is there anything thing else the vets and I can do for her? Or do we just have to wait and see if the antibiotics help? She's been on them for 4 days. She is relatively stable but seems to slowly be going downhill ? I'm not sure. Her nose seems congested at times, at times it doesn't. She sneezes sometimes but makes no other noises like they make when their nose is congested so I'm not sure if that's the reason why she can't breath well at times or if it's really her lungs. I'm worried that there might be fluid in her lungs but the vets don't want to try laxis for now. What else can we do for her? Are there any other better antibiotics that we can try if these definitely aren't working? She's my heart rat and I really don't want to loose her but she's not exactly young.
Forgot to mention that sometimes there seems to be blood around her nose. I can't be sure it isn't porphyrin but it seems a lot darker.
Thank you in advance.

Awww your poor girl. Do you have an asthma inhaler? That could get her through the attacks until the antibiotics kick in. If not will the vet give you oral prednisone to give at home?
Hey lilspaz ! Thank your for reaching out again. I don't have an inhaler :( I do have Prednisone at home from when one of my boys had PT.
Btw a little update on her: she had been breathing abdominally ( rough translation not sure if that's correct ) up until yesterday. She will still do it from time to time when she gets excited about food but is mostly breathing normally now. It's not a big improvement but I guess it's something.

Back