Are your pets affected by Covid-19?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconeswatch

hi everyone,

do you think our pets also feel the disturbing effect of Covid-19? How do you as pet owners cope with the pandemic? Would love to gain insights.
Thanks!

Yes I think pets are affected by the coronavirus, they may even get infected and transfer the virus. I have read articles that this virus was seen in a cat and rodents. So yes our pets can be vulnerable to Covid19.

Well, my pets arent bothered by it except when we've had to go to the vets and stand outside in the freezing rain and cold and then Momma can't go in with them and that's hard for them. My girls have their same old routines day after day and I've adjusted well to COVID. I hate wearing a mask though. I really do. I feel like I'm breathing my own breath back and it sucks.

zoonosis where an animal and a human can pass an illness between them isn't a known factor in covid-19 yet. At this point, cats, minks, etc can contract covid but they don't have any real cases where the animal has infected a human except in Denmark where the virus actually mutated within the farmed mink and the mutated virus then infected the humans caring for them directly.
So as for now the CDC hasn't found any animal to human infections of the current covid strain.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

zoonosis where an animal and a human can pass an illness between them isn't a known factor in covid-19 yet. At this point, cats, minks, etc can contract covid but they don't have any real cases where the animal has infected a human except in Denmark where the virus actually mutated within the farmed mink and the mutated virus then infected the humans caring for them directly.
So as for now the CDC hasn't found any animal to human infections of the current covid strain.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

So it is still safe? I mean we dont have to worry about Covid infection with our pets?

Of we have COVID, can we transmit it to our rats? Probably a dumb question, but valid. If you have had it, how did you adjust your care abd cleaning? I can't keep my hands off my rats, and I am fortunate enough to have 2 double critter nations (well one off brand, one name brand), so I will put fleece in one cage, and take out and toss fleece from the other, then I wipe down bars, baskets, and houses with clorox wipes, and spray and wipe pans with nature's miracle odor eliminator, and leave them to dry in the cage, toss litter pans (I use disposable baking pans that I buy in bulk), and wash food and water dishes. Then I switch cages 4-5 days later, and repeat the process.

Well, my pets arent bothered by it except when we've had to go to the vets and stand outside in the freezing rain and cold and then Momma can't go in with them and that's hard for them. My girls have their same old routines day after day and I've adjusted well to COVID. I hate wearing a mask though. I really do. I feel like I'm breathing my own breath back and it sucks.
My rats have found the masks entertaining and have destroyed a couple of them.

Back