Are suppose to sleep this much?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxtechie

Hey all new rat mom of 12 adorable babies. I know that rats are nocturnal so mostly active at night but boy they sure can sleep A LOT. I have 5 boys in one, 6 in another and one on her own in recovery. They can usually sleep the day away if I didn't come in every so often just to talk to them and check on them so they get use to hearing my voices and my scent. Is this normal or should I be encouraging them to move more? I take them out in pairs to run around the room for a bit in bursts when they are all active and awake. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something :)

I pretty sure rats are crepuscular, meaning that they are more active at dusk and dawn- they should start to adapt to your schedule after a while, though. And yeah, they do sleep a lot. All of the rats I've had have slept like that so I think it's normal! :)

Hey all new rat mom of 12 adorable babies. I know that rats are nocturnal so mostly active at night but boy they sure can sleep A LOT. I have 5 boys in one, 6 in another and one on her own in recovery. They can usually sleep the day away if I didn't come in every so often just to talk to them and check on them so they get use to hearing my voices and my scent. Is this normal or should I be encouraging them to move more? I take them out in pairs to run around the room for a bit in bursts when they are all active and awake. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something :)
Twilight is correct. You have nothing to worry about. Just make sure none of them are sick, check them for puffed up fur, in a corner, with droopy sick eyes and red staining around their eyes and/or nose. Porphyrin looks like blood, it's red.

As long as none of them are showing signs of sickness then rats do sleep like that during the day.

Back