Are my rats getting sick or just lazy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattoPazzo

I'm a new rat mum of tow girls who are about 6 months old. I got them as rescues 3 months ago. For the first month everything seamed normal, they were shy but got quickly used to their new home. At this point i just noticed some sneezing (and hiccuping when they would wake up) that still occurs, but, not having had rats before, I thought noting of it. Lats month one of them started having some porphyrin stuck around her eyes, mostly one eye; so I started washing her eyes and nose with worm saline solution an removed their plastic nest, which I realized did not allow for much ventilation. After one week of saline washes her porphyrin was gone (though I still sometimes find some red stuff on their nesting material). A few weeks later they now seam both fine although they don't seam to want to stay out for free roam time for very long.
Lastly: they are on fleece bedding in one unit of the furat tower, the cage gets completely cleaned once a week and spot cleaned every day. They get about four to five hours of open cage every day; they groom normally and eat and drink.
What worries me is the continued sneezing and their tendency to go out for a just a few minutes and immediately go back too sleeping (or just snoozing) for the next half hour bruxing and boggling... essentially I feel like I'm getting mixed signals!😕 Any ideas?
thanks!

Back