Anyone want to play guess my sex?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Anyone want to play Guess my sex?

(I picked up 5 4 week old babies, their mama, and 15 6 day old babies on Wednesday as they were free snake food who were going to be 'released into the wild' as the snake owner had sold her snake and needed them gone immediately)

The pictures were taken last night and the babies, ranging in weight from 30 g to 60 g are 5 weeks old today. I was told that there were 4 baby girls and one baby boy but that was wrong ..... so I need your help to figure out just how far off the snake owner was ......

Baby 1 is a hoodie, baby 2 is also a hoodie, baby 3 is the largest and is also a hoodie, baby 4 seems to be a self and has very thin hair, baby 5 is a berk
..... and a few more pics just because they are so cute LOL

August 10 2017 34 days old baby boy 1a.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby boy 2a.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 1a.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 2a.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 3a.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby boy 1c.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby boy 2d.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 1and baby boy 1.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 2b.jpg

August 10 2017 34 days old baby girl 3b.jpg

Can't see well enough to say on the first pick, but the 2nd one looks like a boy ,3rd and 4 do look like girls, last one kinda looks like a boy as well.

It's easier in person to tell. For boys if you can hold them up by the scruff there boy parts drop and show more. For girls you can also look to see if you can see nipple' s.

Thanks. Yes babies 1 and 2 are boys and today baby 5 started to show testicles. baby 3 looks like she might have nipples ..... but no nipples on baby 4 so far.

They are all very tiny and are 5 weeks old today (Friday), but they seem under developed for 5 weeks.
The snake owner separated them from their mama when they were 3 weeks old, much too young to be away from their mama

Thanks for the congrats, but I can't keep them. I have started to try to find them good homes .... hopefully I will be able to as I already have too many ratties, having rescued quite a few ratties in Dec/Jan
Here are a few pics of babies eating peas .... and having a picnic in the litter box LOL from this evening
Unfortunately this site is ot allowing me to post videos

August 11 2017 babies having a pinic in the litter box.jpg

August 11 2017 babies love peas.jpg

August 11 2017 pease and babies.jpg

Last edited:
They are extremely cute! It's such a shock that at their age we can't really tell for sure. It should be super noticeable but their development must be delayed due to the lack of care the mother had. At least they are getting the very best now!

I have to admit that I picked up these babies because I couldn't let them be dumped outdoors ...... and I am terrified ...... a rescue and a shelter have both declined to take in any ..... and since Pets Unlimited closed it seems like there is a continuous number of ratties and accidental litters needing good homes .... and breeders popping up everywhere :(

....... terrified because in addition to these five babies, I also have their mama and their fifteen 8 day old siblings ... and all of them need to find good homes......

Pictures below of the babies at 6 days old ... like their older siblings they are very tiny and these babies are also very thin ..... hopefully that will change now that their mama is eating better .... but this poor little mama has been having back to back litters for a long time as she was being bred for snake food and lived with the daddy (who was given away before I picked up these 21 ratties)

August 10 2017 six days old baby girls 1.jpg

August 10 2017 six days old baby girls 2.jpg

Last edited:
I understand the terrified part. Just from the three momma's I rescued (rip little momma) there is 34 baby's I was only expecting the 3 momma's but when I got to them there where baby's and I couldn't turn them down with how they where Bing kept. Ugh and looking at the momma's today they might be prago [emoji37]. I'm hoping it's just from all the food they have eaten.

thank you
I really hope the girls are not pregnant

at least I don't have to worry about that as the daddy was given away free (RIP poor boy) before the last litter was born

Back