Any vet near Markham, Ontario? (Canada)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kko2046

Hi, does anyone know of a vet near Markham (Ontario) that will take rats? We have a 9 month old that we recently discovered a small lump the size of a penny coin in his lower belly... Can't seem to find vets around here that treats vets... thank you.

Also, anything I should do? He (Cookie) does not seem to be bothered by the lump at the moment. Still eats/plays/sleeps like normal...

Hi, does anyone know of a vet near Markham (Ontario) that will take rats? We have a 9 month old that we recently discovered a small lump the size of a penny coin in his lower belly... Can't seem to find vets around here that treats vets... thank you.

Also, anything I should do? He (Cookie) does not seem to be bothered by the lump at the moment. Still eats/plays/sleeps like normal...
Hey.! Regarding the lump, can you by chance show a photo of it ? And if you can describe the texture(soft/hard/grainy, does it feel attached/free floating, that kind of stuff). There's a chance that it's an abscess and if that's the culprit you can treat it at home and we can help you through that process !

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try to get a picture and describe it better when I get home tonight. He is my daughter's boy and she told me about it so I don't know about the lump in details. These two are our first rats so we are quite worried... keeping fingers crossed that its of the abcess kind...

signal-2021-09-29-233324_004.jpg
signal-2021-09-29-233324_002.jpg

Hi, here are a couple of pictures of the lump on Cookie... not sure if you can see it clearly... it is not protruding much right now and kind of flat. When I put my finger on it, it is not like tennis ball hard, but it is a little harder than his belly flesh around the lump. dont think it is grainy but cant really tell because of the fur on top. does not seem to be moving very freely... but because it is kind of flat it is hard to tell...

That is a preputial gland abscess. Males can sometimes develop these. Best thing to do is try a sitz bath (bathroom sink, warmer water) as this will encourage the abscess to move to surface, open up and drain. After it opens up you should flush it twice a day with isotonic saline to clean out all the nooks and crannies of the cavity. It should heal fairly fast once it's nice and clean. IF it starts to grow outside of the body you are looking at the much rarer preputial gland neoplasm or tumour. This would need to be surgically removed Asap to save his life.

That is a preputial gland abscess. Males can sometimes develop these. Best thing to do is try a sitz bath (bathroom sink, warmer water) as this will encourage the abscess to move to surface, open up and drain. After it opens up you should flush it twice a day with isotonic saline to clean out all the nooks and crannies of the cavity. It should heal fairly fast once it's nice and clean. IF it starts to grow outside of the body you are looking at the much rarer preputial gland neoplasm or tumour. This would need to be surgically removed Asap to save his life.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will follow your suggestions!

Hi just want to give an update that your advice did the trick, after a warm sitz bath in the toilet sink for 10 minutes or so the lump reduced in a couple of days and now there is almost no sign of it! Thanks again so much for being knowledgeable in these furry friends and sharing your knowledge! Cheers.

Back