any of your rats chew up your bed sheets?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRider2k3

Just wondering if anyone else here has a problem with their rats chewing up their bed sheets. My comforter is completely tore up and the sheet underneath has holes in it haha. I have a new set but don't want to put it on and have them chew it up. What are your tips and tricks to get around or solve this issue?

Curtains, sheets, couches, COmforters, blankets, rats chew anything they can. I only put them on things that I will allow them to chew. They wont stop chewing or making holes in stuff. It is a rat thing.

Yeah I know that LOL. I use my bed as the play time area, and my ratties love it. They don't chew cords, or anything outside their cage for that matter, except my bed sheets. I'm thinking of using the sheets that I have now for their play time and having my own for when they are not out...

I used to have my cage right net to my bed... this means Ihave 3 pillows with gapping holes with half the stuffing pulled out and bunh of chewed up bits in my blnket : P I finally learned my lesson and moved the cage.

I too use my bed as a play area. They did chew on my bedsheet, but mostly peed on everything, so what I do now is I bought a thicker blanket, remove everything from the bed but the sheets, and have them play on their own blanket. Doesn't matter if they chew it - it's theirs, goes in the wash every week, my bed is clean and everyone is happy! :D

Oh gosh... well at first my biggest chewer Nes, started chewing on the wood that outline the carpet, when I blocked all the wood lining with coroplast, he resulted to going under my bed to chew on that and the carpet in the corner!!!! I removed my beautiful bedframe to put my matress on the ground to block him from going back there, and as a result, he chewed holes through my matress! He was persistent to destroy anything, no matter how many times I'd block him.

Some of my sheets have little holes in them now currently, but nothing you'd notice unless upon close inspection. I'd say the biggest damage I recieved was when my other ratties chewed up cords of my sound system and almost on my computer!!!

That said we've moved to a different room of the house, the cords are up high were none of my ratties can get them. And rather then block the wood lining the carpet with coroplast, I let it out in the open, because my room is set so that I can see what my ratties are doing. They can't go under something without me knowing about it and still being able to see them. The only time they want to chew on something, with Nes anyway... is if he goes somewhere, where I can not only not see him, but can't get to him either. So I've blocked off a few places where he'd do that.

So far there's been now chewing incidences, and my new queen size bed is on a plateform frame, so no more matress chewing either. My advice? Block the temptation, or find another room for them to play in where they won't chew on your things. Or get a Martin's playpen, OR, cover your matress with material you don't mind getting chewed up. Believe me it's a pain trying to find alternatives that work, I spent over a year in frustration during play time trying to keep my members out from chewing on things that were part of the house lol good luck.

*Twitch* Yup, there's a spattering on holes in my comforter and sheets, although my main problem is the pee they leave behind due to my allergies.

What I do is move the comforter to a chair, and put one of those vinyl fitted mattress protectors over my sheets. Then on top I throw several fleece blankets that were specifically purchased for the ratties (from Walgreens). Granted, my kiddos will nibble on the vinyl, but so far its been sparing my sheets from further holey damage.

I love these stories :) . I haven't figured out the culprit but I think its my Siamese mischief. She is the only one who doesn't leave the bed. Another room would probably be worse as mine is the only rat proofed room and it is still a work in progress. A few things I want to do to make it better.

How would you block the temptation though? I think I'm going to use the sheet that is on now as theirs and just get my own. Then we are both happy haha.

For me, its not so much blocking temptation, but trying to distract them from chewing. Like when I notice them gnawing, I'll rattle something or toss over a toy. Doesn't work for long though.

DarkRider2k3 said:
I love these stories :) . I haven't figured out the culprit but I think its my Siamese mischief. She is the only one who doesn't leave the bed. Another room would probably be worse as mine is the only rat proofed room and it is still a work in progress. A few things I want to do to make it better.

How would you block the temptation though? I think I'm going to use the sheet that is on now as theirs and just get my own. Then we are both happy haha.
Lol idk about blocking temptation because I think rats are pretty persistent when they want to do something but here is a funny link of a girl trying to stop her rattie digging and chewing at the carpet by blocking him with this block
http://youtu.be/2KH_Zbc56Q0?t=44s

Its jsut important to remember that chewing is 100% natural and enriching for rats so i dont think there will ever be a way to stop them from chewing nor should we really try I think its jsut important to give them constructive things to chew like wood blocks or their own blankets : )

That way instead of tryign to erase a good natural behavior, youa re channeling it into a thing that wont be missed when it gets shredded ;)

Hahaha that video is too cute.

And I would never want to stop chewing. I kinda wonder if its partly boredom. I need to give her more toys and chewable stuff on the bed. I don't really give her much..

Lots of toys might help haha I find that no matter how many toys I give them mine will just destroy the things I woudl rather they not haha. Like the cage pans D:

Sounds like my boys but i need to get them some out toys too hehe, anyone know of a website i can boy good rattie toys? I'm avoiding petstores like the plague

Oh, yes. My comforter is a mess right now. Also, all of my clothes have tiny holes in them. And they have destroyed all of their toys. As soon as I get my paycheck, I'm going to get them some better chew toys.

I had my cage near my bed, so if any blankets ever got close to the cage then it was instantly a target for chewing and 'redecorating'. Once they somehow managed to get half of my comforter in their cage. >.<

When we put them on the bed we lay down a large table cloth first ... fuzzy side up vinyl (or whatever side down) in case of accidents!! No chewers! They mostly get to play in their room and its a hard wood floor, no cords or anything just their stuff. A couple of the little guys are chewing the fleece liners (PEANUT)

Funny story on things getting near their cage, I have only had 2 incidents of that.

The first one was of my bed sheets. The cage is fairly close to my bed, and the one day they got a hold of a sheet and dragged it in their cage and destroyed it!

The second one was the only time I've seen them chew on cords. I accidentally let my Macbook cord get too close to the cage and they pulled it in and chewed it up. It was the only time they have ever chewed up a cord.

Back