Antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hi, one of my rats has an internal abcess covering a great part of his abdomen. The vet suggested we tried antibiotics to deal with it but it didn't work. We were going to schedule to remove the abscess surgically but my boy developed a bad respiratory infection and we don't want him to undergo surgery like this. We tried different antibiotics and he is not improving. The vet thinks it may be because the body is battling two big infections ( abscess and RI ) . We tried Baytril, Baytril + Doxy, Baytril + ceflalexine and Azithromycin. All these seemed to show little to no improvement. The vet is seeing him tomorrow again. I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what more antibiotics we could try ? Or what can we do? I really want him to make it out of this but he is doing very poorly. He is fairly young but was rescued from an inbreeding / hording situation and has always been a bit problematic health wise. He has the most ridiculously violent seizures and that does not help when he is already short on breath. His on siezure medication that has helped A LOT ( he used to have 4/5 seizures a day and now it happens about 2 a week they are not as agressive ) but still doesn't help his current respiratory situation. Vet guaranteed his heart is fine by the way. Thank you.

[QUOTE = "lilspaz68, post: 508114, membro: 7"] Você pode postar uma foto do abscesso? [/ QUOTE]
O abscesso é interno, só podemos senti-lo / vê-lo através de raios-x. My vet though it to be a tumor but when she went to take a sample from it to test it, pus started to come out. Saw my vet today and she said his lungs are clear. He's a little congested. But she wants to remove the abscess asap cuz it feels bigger and she is afraid it may open. We are having it removed next week.

Did you vet test the infection to see what antibiotics it will respond to?
That may be helpful

Can you give more information?
How is he worse? What is happening?
Is the abscess worse? Is his breathing worse?
Pictures of the abscess?

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/abscess.php
chloramphenicol palmitate might also be helpful with the abscess (my vet gets it sold as a commercial product in liquid form)
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/chloramphenicol.php
The abscess is internal. I can't get photos of it, we can only see it in the X-ray or feel it.

My vet did not test the infection I completely forgot that we could do that and will bring it up after surgery.

She examined him and took an X-ray. His lungs are clean and his heart is fine. She decided it was best for him to have surgery asap since the abscess is getting bigger and it may burst and kill him if not removed.

His breathing is worse yes but he has been feeling a little bit better now I have been giving him CBD along with his antibiotics. If my vet is correct he should start feeling better after having the abscess removed since it is covering a big part of his body and making him weaker from having to battle it along with the respiratory infection.

Back