Animal Services

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

Holy Bejeezus. So continuing the adventures of adopting Gusteau; animal services called me after he bit a vet tech. I thought it was fine after I left them a message last week but it turns out the girl was just sick and wants to meet Gusteau. The problem is I disregarded the "quarantine" period as it's a crock of poop and he's already having a neuter done as we speak.

My question is have any of you dealt with animal services before? What do they look for? Will they notice I already took him to another vet? Will they fine me or try to take him away? She won't see him until after the long weekend - the last day of his supposed quarantine. Please let me know your experience.

Well it seems this is a relatively new thing so I might as well write about it for others who may deal with it in the future. There is nothing in the animal services municipal code page about anything other than dog and cat bites. In fact the only real mention of other animals were those that were prohibited.

I called the Animal Services person to schedule a meeting at my home. She said this is her first rat visit ever. Despite there not being any case of rabies transmitted from a rodent to a human they're still wasting their time coming to me. They said it will be a 10 min chat and to see that he is still healthy. No idea if they could tell a neutered rat if they saw one and unsure if I'll be fined if she can.

Will update after the meeting on Tuesday.

Good luck

Never heard of this before.
But be careful as many rats in the USA (other countries have not over reacted like this) have been killed by authorities because of a disease they can carry that in rare circumstances can make people ill - and if they do not get heath care (antibiotics I believe) then in rare cases they can die ........
too bad you can not get out of this, especially since there is no requirement for any animals except dogs and cats

Don't let them test him for anything

And I would suggest you never use that vet again since they know little about rats ...... you might want to post a warning abut this vet clinic in the ER vet listing section

good luck

Last edited:
The the animal service lady came in. We went directly to Gusteau's cage. She just wanted to see that he was alive and well. She didn't notice his neuter at all. She asked if his behaviour changed at all, or if he was eating less. She already knew from our call what his history was. The visit was about 5 minutes.

She says the visit is now a "recommended measure" as exotic pets are becoming more common. So... look forward to that, Ontario owners. No, I will definitely not be returning to the High Park vet. The Links vet readily told me they would do the exam when he was asleep for the surgery after I told him he was a biter. So much smarter.

Well, I guess it's good that they are making sure exotic pets are also well cared for. I think it's a step in the right direction.

Back