Alright my favorite rat experts :) only when difficult :) ha

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are almost there. They are still two guys living with a group of 17 right now :cop: well have been but getting closer to one whole group. I found Tart being pinned by one of my big black rats :) usually he screams and runs, never seen them actually get him pinned. Just now I found Horatio sleeping with Lenny. I thought it was tart, they are almost identical so it makes it hard to see who is who. But Lenny was the one of the biggest pitas for the new boys, he was the one getting under them and laying on his side trying to give them the ok to pin him. He is a strange boy :) the other two were not impressed with his actions at all.

310294_10150317227006409_634516408_8386516_1282150408_n.jpg

The hammock is only 2 days old LOL I can say having this many boys they are some messy little hogs.

Horatio has found his confidence to take on the other group :emb: Flynn is the smallest black rat of the 4. He weighs in at 589g. He is one of my major fighters with the new guys. I brought the boys out and Horatio is sitting her nipping edgar the cow of the cage, 775g worth.

He was pop corning with the boys and running about but you can see now he is getting his spot figured out... He was sniffing away at the other boys and nipping a few faces. Today he is all about pinning the other boys. Either moving forward or he is going to cause problems today LOL It is good he isnt cowering in fear anymore that he is actually fighting back a bit. I will laugh if he becomes alpha after toby the other hairless standard ear was alpha too.

Horatio, and the twins tart and Lenny
317346_10150318535361409_634516408_8391551_1325231107_n.jpg

jorats said:
It is fascinating how these things turn out.

And someone must of burst his big testosterone bubble because he was back to being a wimpy boy after a few hours, Lenny who has been one of the rats he has slept with most, had him freaking out. The babies are also so into figuring out who is boss, now they all box, and the squeakers squeak like mad LOL

A few more weeks right? :rathugz:

I swear no more intro's for me.

It seems to me that rats of the same color seem to group up LOL i always fine mine in identical pairs or groups. I have a few of the same color here and they always seem to stick together.

That's a funny coincidence. I never had my buddies be colour coordinated. It would be awesome though. lol

Poor little guy... Maybe next time he'll be braver longer.

Now flynn is doing it LOL so I was pinning him and like biting him with my fingers. He lets me do it, fights it but then his little testosterone jerk self runs to the next rat and pins them. I should be in bed but they are making me laugh so hard that I cant walk away from the cage He is so much like Templeton, I may break my neuter break sooner than planned. I didnt want to do anymore till after the first and take a big group at a time, but well I am not sure how that will work out.

I think Flynn may be alpha, I still find that hard to believe, but Eli is in it too. every one watches flynn when he walks by, my weaker minded ones, freeze, and watch him. You can tell they will take the long route to avoid him.

He isnt hurting them we havent had any marks on any of the boys... He is more hands on than i have ever seen before. Or he is trying to be alpha, he is trying to get them all to submit? I guess that is probably how it works? the more he pins then the better he is to be top dog?

I never actually paid attention to it working out Templeton always was and so was Toby. there doesn't seem to be a debate when they are all babies..... Least not with the guys in intro'd into tobys group, it was never a debate.

Been quiet, only because I was busy with the rat room :)

Horatio is still having issues. the problem is I cannot pinpoint if he is the problem or if the other boys are taunting him.

Out time on the floor he still gets it, hell he gets it in the cage too. I find Lenny is side stepping him, and he is backing off freaking out. So with that and the lack of sores on him, I would say it is probably Horatio. Edgar got him him in the cage, and that big ol' bear is least likely to get any rat. Which is another thing that makes me think it is Horatio. It isnt constant either it has slowed down a lot

I am trying to pinpoint who i want to neuter next. or how i can level this group out a bit. Make it a bit less insane LOL or who will be the most effective to neuter i guess.

It isnt that they are all being bad, they wrestle a lot the babies are not at the pinning stage but Lear seems to be the next contender for something.... he is on a pinning rampage. They are boys so I do expect there to be some chaos till they age a bit.

They seem to enjoy the out time I am hoping having the room will be helpful but at the same I wasnt sure if that was something that contributed to the drama. Since now the boys can be at the other groups cage which has females in it. So now the boys can smell the girls first hand, but only from the bottom of the cage lol none have became smart enough to jump yet lol.

They've only been together a short while and they've just gone through a big move into a new room. I'd give them much more time before deciding on neuters. They'll need about a month before they really settle. And even then, once in a while you will find that someone is acting up and scuffles start but a lot of the times, it's not really cause for a neuter, not unless you see true aggression or you see the rats being terrorized.
If you can afford it, then do all the ones that you suspect could be an instigator. I know that my cages are much more quieter and happier with all the males neutered.

So I have 3 difficult boys. They seem to be intense boxing but nothing more. I let Oliver and Hugh just go at it but I pulled trey out since he had the teeth chatter.

I would like to attempt to get through this with out a crap load of neuters. I guess if I have to with Trey then he will be next but Oliver is neutered and a menace as you know.

I currently have them in the play pen on the floor and they are just sitting there, in the corner, doing nothing LOL

I need to change up my intros so let the tips flow :) I got spoiled by easy ones lol

Hugh might be really good for Ollie. He is trying to get his face and Hugh is stubborn enough to not let him. He pushes him with his rear but they both just sit there. Maybe Ollie will learn some boundaries with rats and be easier to intro. He has none, he thinks he can do what he wants when he wants. They do a lot of stare offs in the corner.

Of course I can. I have him on the couch with me right now. I am letting the two boys figure it out in the playpen right now. Trey was puffy the whole time. I knew he would pop. He had the loudest teeth chatter ever. He wasnt biting they were just boxing and he is a little ricocheting rat LOL he kinda hops and bounces all over. I only removed him because of his extremely loud teeth chattering I know that will usually lead to a bite from hell.

I just cant help but wonder if he is traumatized from his leg being chewed off. He was older when it happened so I know they can hold a grudge. I will try him back in there in a little bit or tomorrow. I dont want to stress him out to bad.

yeah just what he needs is more body parts missing LOL Hopefully he dont use his balls for balance lmao

I tried Hugh with little snake boy bobby, and I will be damned if they could get along. I tried oliver with bobby and they are both little menaces. None of them hurt him but they all pinned him a dozen times but bobby was so excited that he humped them and the older boys didnt take that to well.

They will like each other if it kills me.

Back