Alice - Not Good (Was - Getting PTS due to tumour)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope this doesn't sound rude, how are the symptoms of PT / Pyometara similiar? I've had a couple of girls with Pyometra and I don't remember any similiar symptoms but it would be good to know.

We've got another girl bleeding from her girl bits (as of tonight) too - although she is younger than Alice she's not showing any of the PT symptoms that Alice definitely seems to be. Maybe I'm wrong but surely Pyo wouldn't cause confusion, weakness etc?

Our vet always prescribes the same thing initally when they're bleeding, Septrin, she thinks it works better than Baytril for UTIs. Alice is already getting that here and there's no smell of infection / swelling, the bleeding isn't that heavy, so spaying would be a last resort :( I don't know if I'd put her through a spay when she's got a brian tumour.

Rachael said:
Hope this doesn't sound rude, how are the symptoms of PT / Pyometara similiar? I've had a couple of girls with Pyometra and I don't remember any similiar symptoms but it would be good to know.

We've got another girl bleeding from her girl bits (as of tonight) too - although she is younger than Alice she's not showing any of the PT symptoms that Alice definitely seems to be. Maybe I'm wrong but surely Pyo wouldn't cause confusion, weakness etc?

I have no idea how they are similiar, but my girls pyo was so bad she had to be PTS. She was very weak from the infection & she was also confused. We thought PT for two days before being diagnosed with pyo. I was not saying that your girl has pyo, I was just giving my experience... sorry.

Ratlover2013 said:
I have no idea how they are similiar, but my girls pyo was so bad she had to be PTS. She was very weak from the infection & she was also confused. We thought PT for two days before being diagnosed with pyo. I was not saying that your girl has pyo, I was just giving my experience... sorry.

Not sure why you're apologising, I didn't mean for my posts to sound rude, I appreciate your replies & was just wondering how the symptoms were similiar as that's not something I've noticed before. Thanks again :)

I think pyometra and PT may present similarly in that they can be lethargic, may have problems with their gait, be off their food and be confused. If the pyometra is advanced enough, they will be septic, which is life-threatening.

If you start the Cabergoline she could very well survive a spay. My girl with PT survived another 4 months after surgery to remove an abscess. If she even has a pituitary tumour but it sounds like it may be only pyometra.

Thank you.

The best vet is there tomorrow.

With pyometra is there not usually pus / some kind of smell? She isn't bloated and she's bleeding (a little, not much) so it can't be a closed pyo. I just remember with my last two girls that both of them were very swollen, felt quite hard to the touch, and there was a foul smelling discharge as well :( ?

Rachael said:
Thank you.

The best vet is there tomorrow.

With pyometra is there not usually pus / some kind of smell? She isn't bloated and she's bleeding (a little, not much) so it can't be a closed pyo. I just remember with my last two girls that both of them were very swollen, felt quite hard to the touch, and there was a foul smelling discharge as well :( ?

My girl started with a little blood and nothing else then turned septic within a few days.

Rachael, there are two types of pyometras:
open, and closed. In an open one, pus and blood leaks in great amounts. A closed one is easier to remove(the whole uterus is just taken out), and the pus/blood builds up inside them. If you aren't seeing a lot, then it might be closed. It may also be a UTI. That's pretty much all I can offer, I'm sorry, I've never had any experience with either.

Aida said:
Rachael, there are two types of pyometras:
open, and closed. In an open one, pus and blood leaks in great amounts. A closed one is easier to remove(the whole uterus is just taken out), and the pus/blood builds up inside them. If you aren't seeing a lot, then it might be closed. It may also be a UTI. That's pretty much all I can offer, I'm sorry, I've never had any experience with either.

Thank you, I know there's two different kinds of pyo, with a closed pyo there wouldn't be any discharge would there?

Correct me if I'm wrong though :oops: , I've been quite lucky and it's not something I've been through very much.

I'm worried that the other girl I mentioned that's now bleeding might have Pyometra - she is bleeding quite a lot and is worrying me more. With Alice there really isn't much blood now that she's been on the Septrin and she definitely seems to be showing PT symptoms :(

Septrin may not be the best antibiotic if it's a UTI, Clavamox or Metronidazole may be better. If you're giving her steroids, you'll have to add Baytril to get more coverage and give her immune system a boost.

For the other girl, keep her hydrated and give her Metacam if you have it until you can get her to the vet.

Thanks for asking. :heart:

Alice has gone downhill drastically today :sad3: She managed to eat porridge this morning but I don't expect her to be here much longer. :cry3: Tonight she hasn't eaten, I've given her something to drink though....

So sad. :sad3:

Rachael said:
Alice has gone downhill drastically today :sad3: She managed to eat porridge this morning but I don't expect her to be here much longer. :cry3: Tonight she hasn't eaten, I've given her something to drink though....
I'm sorry :(
Did the vet tell you what the problem was? Is it a PT after all?
How is her sister doing?
Give Alice some snuggles from us...
And hugs for you :hugs:

Back