Agressive Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

We had friends over and one friend whom we hadn't seen in probably 6 months was over as well. Of course when friends come over I show off my girls (I can't help it they are great embassador rats LOL). Anyways I found out my friend Shawn, his daughter has a rat. He said that he is very aggressive. He will bite and bite hard. Not sure if he will break skin or not though, I forgot to ask that. Anyways I started asking questions. It turns out he was with either one or two more rats. He was always the more aggressive of the two but not as bad. When his pal(s) passed away he became worse. I told Shawn that most likely he was lonely. He needs a friend. Also I said that it might be him in general more aggressive and would do very well with a neuter but that he would definately need a pal. I said I could help him out with that.

I told him that if daughter was really concerned about the aggressivness (I really doubt they will neuter), if she wanted to I would most likely be able to find a wonderful home for him... Yes meaning one of you guys. TeeHee. He said he would let me know.

I did forget to ask how old he is though. I will let you know when I know.

Lots of socializing might help as well. Rattie might be scared. When parents leave it up to their kids to care for the animals, chances are they aren't being looked after properly. And if the rat has attempted to bite, I bet he's tucked away in a corner somewhere.

I'm with Jo on this one. A kid doesn't always grasp the idea of play fights, or just plain alpha behavior. Heck, some adults with lots of experience can have a hard time with rough housing ratties. Anyroad, he definitely needs a friend, and a neuter never hurts. He may be a bit of a bully, but if he was cohabitating well enough with his previous pals he doesn't have serious issues.

When Jerry died, Ben was lonely too.

At one point, he lunged at me from between the bedsheets, bit me on the backside, and then went tearing back under the sheets.

I got the impression that it was a cross between being playful and being angry.

You need to find out how much quality time is spent with the rat. Do they let him run outside the cage or is he cooped up inside all the time?

If the film "Legally Blonde" is any indication...

"exercise creates endorphines... endorphines make people happy... happy people don't shoot their husbands... they just don't!" ;)

If that is true of humans, then why shouldn't it be true of our fur forms?

Back