Aggressive, possibly hormonal

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rataganza

I realize this is similar to another recent post, but at the request of a commenter, I'm moving Arturius' case to a new thread so as not to muddle the two cases.
Instead of writing everything over, this is most of a comment I posted to the Suddenly Aggressive thread.

Arturius is about 1.5 years old.

"We introduced three baby males to Arturius (our oldest and dominant male) and his brother Finn about a month ago, and everything went fine. While we originally kept the babies in a smaller cage, it wasn't a couple hours before they were breaking out of the small cage and trying to break into the big boys' cage. We couldn't stop them, since the smaller cage was not designed for rodents that small and smart, so we let them in the big one and everything went well for about 3 weeks. Arturius asserted his dominance, but never broke skin.

About four days ago, I noticed two of my babies' backs were covered in scabs, about 5 each. They weren't there the day before. I separated Arturius for a day and checked to see if any new marks showed up, since I wasn't positive he was the culprit. None did, but I still wasn't sure, because the babies wrestle with each other.
After separating him for a day, the babies' were so excited to see him visit that I let him return to the main cage. This has happened twice more with me separating him for varied amounts of time. The scabs disappeared from one baby, but my most beta baby, Volar, seems to still be getting beat up (new scabs have appeared, and I've caught Arturius pounding on him more than once).

Then, last night, I had all 5 out on my bed and everything was going fine until Arturius went nuts on Volar. It looked like he was trying to hump him and bite him. I separated the two with my hand and firmly told Arturius "no." Usually, he responds to that. But he just kept going after Volar. Finally, I put him in his closed off portion of the cage and he spent the night alone.
As explained in a different thread, I don't have access to a rat-specific vet, and my vet has explained I would need to travel to the next state over for anything closely related to cancer or cancer detection."

Arturius is currently separated. I may be being ridiculous, but he seemed sad when I got him out today. I dislike separating him, but with Finn in his current condition (see "Rat dying?" thread), I can't risk Arturius wounding a baby bad enough for a vet visit.

I'm asking for advice about handling the situation. Undoubtedly, someone will bring up the idea of neutering, which is reasonable. Personally, and on a deeply personal level, I disagree with the practice, so while I am not discounting it as an option, I would specifically like to hear other options if they exist.

Mental health was brought up as a possible in thread this was originally posted to, and after consideration, I wonder if Finn's condition might be adding to Arturius' aggression. Finn is Arturius littermate and has been horribly sick for more than a month. While I don't know if rats are sentimental, I wonder if Arturius is more aggressive because Finn is receiving more attention.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your advice, and I apologize for the lengthy post.

Rats love their friends and family just as we do.
If their cagemate dies, rats grieve, may stop eating, and may die
This is why it is important to introduce them to other rats when their cagemates die.

When rats are ill, we do not separate them from their friends unless there is a very good reason.
Being separated may cause stress and often rats do better if left with their cagemates who may help to look after them.
I wonder if Finn would be more comfortable living with his brother?
If not, then it might be a good idea to let Arturius visit him.

How old are the babies?
Are the scabs around the head and shoulders of the babies?
If so, it could be mites (the treatment is revolution http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php)
Rats hide illness and by the time you notice they are ill, you are well into a medical emergency. It is essential for rat owners to have a good vet that is willing to learn, to consult other vets and who hopefully has the knowledge and experience to treat rats.

Arturius may have just been enforcing his dominance, plus he is likely very upset about his brother or there could be more to it - Lilspaz68 and Jorats would have a better idea.
It is also possible that you will need to redo gradual intros between the babies and Arturius.
See https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/#post-491257 and joinrats.com

I hope this helps

Arturius rarely attacks Finn since Finn got sick, and if he does, Finn gives him an awful earful. I can't lie, Finn's worsening condition was the impetus behind buying the babies, which we did about 3 weeks ago. Originally, the plan was simply to buy one of a new litter our suppliers were weening, so Arturius wouldn't be alone should Finn not survive the illness. But, my wife went with me to pick one out... I liked one, she liked another and a third would have been left alone if we only picked up the two, so we came home with three.

The scabs are down the back and only on the babies. I hadn't thought of mites, but wouldn't they attack all the rats equally? Really, I'm asking for future reference, because I've caught Arturius drawing blood twice now, so I have no doubt he's the reason behind the wounds.

Back to keeping him with Finn, I thought at first this would be a good idea, and last night when I separated Arturius, I put Finn in with him. But, a few seconds later he attacked Finn, which is quite uncommon, so I thought it best for him to be alone for the night. I have let Finn visit twice today with no incident, so perhaps I will try to let the two spend the night together. I think a reintroductory phase once everything is settled down will be good, but oddly enough, the babies keep trying to get into Arturius' side as if despite his attacks, they really want to be around him.

I don't think this is aggression but more of Artirius being a dad. Humping the young ones is putting them in their place. The scabs really sound like mites/lice. I would do a treatment on everyone asap. And I would also keep them together. Unless you see a real open gash with blood, I don't think it's your big guy doing anything but schooling the kids.

Update: after separating Arturius for a night, he settled down a bit. The scabs have all gone away, and I have seen a bloody, open wound after he wrestled with them on two separate occassions. The would was not gushing, but there was wet blood under the fur. I will look into a mite treatment as well just to be on the safe side.
Arturius has responded quite well to scolding, and I am ever impressed by the intelligence of my boys. Upon watching the babies more closely, I've found that other than the night previously mentioned, most aggressive interactions are instigated by the babies. I'm not sure if this is Arturius backing off because he knows I don't like it, or if this has always been the case, and I somehow missed it before.

I appreciate everyone's input and will update later as I more closely observe their interactions.

Babies can play very rough and irritate adults who will need to put them in their place, As they reach 3 months old and become teenagers, they will push the boundaries and adults will need to put them in their place, reminding them of who is the boss. H0wever, no one should be harmed, unless it is accidental.

How is Arturius with Finn?
Can you post a picture of the cage?
Is this the cage Arturius and Finn have always had?

You may need to gradually reintro the babies to Arturius
Since Finn is so ill, it might be a good idea to take the babies out of the cage and let him and Arturius live together in their large, familiar cage until Finn is feeling better.
If you do this, then all the boys could get out to play with each other/spend time together for an extended period of time each day …… so they will be introed and ready to live together when the time come

Back