Advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucykrauza89

Hi guys!

I’m a new member here at ratshack 🥰

Unfortunately this isn’t the most pleasant of posts but if anyone could give me some advice or reassurance it would help so much.

I’ve got an albino mother who’s only had 3 surviving babies 😭but I have rescued her and another male and female as they were bred for snake bait unfortunately! Anyway long story short 2 babies are thriving and all mixing with the other female and her young ones, she has abandoned the 3rd I tried to hand rear it but unfortunately I’ve woken up and it’s passed away this morning (heartbroken). What was bugging me is it was deformed it’s poor feet weren’t even spread properly they seemed stuck together 😭it also seemed to have a swollen belly is this my fault? I didn’t even get chance to feed it properly as it wouldn’t take properly I’m genuinely heartbroken 💔

Hi guys!

Unfortunately this isn’t the most pleasant of posts but if anyone could give me some advice or reassurance it would help so much.

I’ve got an albino mother who’s only had 3 surviving babies 😭but I have rescued her and another male and female as they were bred for snake bait unfortunately! Anyway long story short 2 babies are thriving and all mixing with the other female and her young ones, she has abandoned the 3rd I tried to hand rear it but unfortunately I’ve woken up and it’s passed away this morning (heartbroken). What was bugging me is it was deformed it’s poor feet weren’t even spread properly they seemed stuck together 😭it also seemed to have a swollen belly is this my fault? I didn’t even get chance to feed it properly as it wouldn’t take properly I’m genuinely heartbroken 💔
From the sound of things you did everything right-feeder rats are bred for quantity not quality and often the babies are inbred- this was most likely a birth defect from inbreeding caused by the inappropriate behavior of the individual you rescued them from. You did all you could and gave that baby a chance- that's more then the other person would have done

From the sound of things you did everything right-feeder rats are bred for quantity not quality and often the babies are inbred- this was most likely a birth defect from inbreeding caused by the inappropriate behavior of the individual you rescued them from. You did all you could and gave that baby a chance- that's more then the other person would have done
Aww thank you so much that’s put my mind at rest a million, I’ve been heartbroken💔 I’ve just gone and laid the poor thing to rest absolutely killed me to do it but it’s at peace now and not suffering. Thank you so much for your reply you’ve given me a boost now I felt it was all my fault I tried my best the poor thing just didn’t make it 🥺x

Hi guys!

I know this hurts deep in your heart. I wish you the best with your two survivors. You will give them a beautiful life as a testament to the baby who passed. He is not in any more pain. Much hugs from Vancouver.

I know this hurts deep in your heart. I wish you the best with your two survivors. You will give them a beautiful life as a testament to the baby who passed. He is not in any more pain. Much hugs from Vancouver.
Thank you so much for your kind words I laid him to rest yesterday he’s at peace now it’s just so heartbreaking but I did what I could for the poor little angel ❤️Thank you 🙏 x

Back