advice needed.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, i have some very bad news i lost my beautiful Merry on tuesday evening it was all very sudden and unexpected. Ever since her little funny turns back along shes been absolutley fine and when i took her to the vet he said she was very healthy. Unfortunatly tuesday evening i found her in the same way and i kept thinking she'd snap out of it but this time she gave up. I'm very heartbroken and i hope she didn't suffer but now i've been thinking about pippin and i'm not sure what to do about getting her a new friend. Pippin can be a bit aggresive towards the two boys i have but i'm so worried that she's gonna get lonely and i really don't want that. i had to leave pippin on her own tuesday night to put Merry to rest and my friend told me that she found her curled up in the same spot in which Merry had passed do you think she was mourning? I know i can give pippin all the attention but i really don't think i'm a substitute for a rattie friend and she still has to go back to a lonely cage at night. but i'm worried that getting her a new friend will make her more upset or she'll be aggresive towards it she's very territorial when t comes to her cage and really does't like the boys anywhere near it but do you think she'd be alright with another girl. I dunno i'm very confused and i get really upset when i see her all alone but how am i supposed to know if shes lonely? thanks for the help sorry i rambled.

When one of my girls passed away I know her sister mourned her...she seemed very depressed, didn't eat as much and constantly looked at me. It was very sad...every time I held her I would cry because we where both missing her sister so much.......I am very sorry for your loss...I know how hard it is. I think your girl would love to have a companion...the key is finding the right one. One with a personality that will compliment hers.........

I'm so sorry for your loss... and Pippin will most definitely miss her. It's a tough call if you should find her a girlfriend especially if you know she's that territorial. But... slow intros might work, give her a bit of time, like a week and perhaps she will be ready for a newbie. But be cautious at intros.

At 14 months, I think I would get her a couple of younger rats, like about 8 weeks old. This way, she will play with the new little girls but when she gets tired, the two little ones can play with each other.

My Emma was pretty good, but not completely accepting of my new girls.... when her cagemate Maggie died, she was so happy to have buddies at out time that it went more smoothly after that. Good luck to you and your girl :D

Back