Advice for Socializing Baby Ratties Before Adoption?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunsetter

I am fostering a Mama and her 12 babies. Mama is FIERCE and came from a hoarding case she's unsocialized and a fear biter (little stinker has managed to bite through Teflon gloves with heavy-duty rubber gloves over them!). When the babies were a week old, I was able to start luring her into a carrier (she LOVES ham baby food) to check on the babies and clean. If I put a little baby food on a metal spoon in the cage, I get about 10 minutes before she starts stressing out. Mama is doing a great job and they are thriving. The shelter will adopt them out in same-sex sibling sets of 2-3 and mama will adopt out with 2 of her daughters. In the meanwhile, I want to get the most out of the time with the babies. We are making sure to individually handle and pet each one when we have them out. Their ears/eyes should be opening by Tuesday so the antics will begin :) Any other socialization, tips? I want to set them up for success and have mama hopefully learn from them. My dream is to have a set go into the shelter's pet therapy program to become little ambassadors.

Back