advice about new baby girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

Hello, I joined here about a month ago when my girl died and now come to all of you with a question. I decided to watch for rats, and when one adopted me, that is when I would get another one. So this weekend I am at a local pet store and I was casually looking and i came across one that was quite funny, playful and just was crazy silly. So I went back and seen her again Saturday....there were 4 girls in the cage, they had just gotten them Friday morning. She was not scared or anything, she was so cute and funny. So I went back to see her Saturday, same thing she approached me and was just silly and sweet. So...went back today to get her...and i decided to get two of the four that was in the cage together, so that way I would have a pair to keep each other company and such.

I get them home, one was the silly funny one and the other started off a bit shy and reserved. Put them in their new cage and let them play and eat and get acclimated etc. This was around 5pm. It is now 9 pm and for the most part they are fine. But I noticed a few times when I would approach the game to check on them and say hello to them...they would spat a bit....first looked like they were playing, then I would hear squeals so I assumed it was either they were competing for my attention, they were playing until one got mad, or they were just simply spatting and arguing.

I thought they would sleep and cuddle together like they all did in the pet store, they have a igloo and a fuzzy bed, and each time i see them, one is in the bed and the other is sleeping alone off in the corner.

Any suggestions on what to do IF they continue to fight and spat? They do not do it constantly, just three times since this evening when I brought them home...they seem to stop if I clap my hands and say stop. I Just don't want it to get out of hand an I don't want to separate them because that was the point in getting two, so they would have each other. They are both female, approximately 2 months old.

I know they are both also adjusting, and it will take some time, I have handled them a bit, they seem to like me and took to me well. Like I said maybe I am just jumping the gun here, but I have never had two rats at once, just one, and I don't want them to hurt each other when I am not around, i just want them to get along and be happy. :idea:

Any suggestions for me? :?: Thanks!

September555

Don't separate them unless one actually gets hurt.
They are probably just working out who will be the alpha. One probably squeaks when being power groomed by the other ... normal rat behavior.
As long as they are not "showing signs of serious aggression, fighting, or injury this will usually resolve within a few days." (http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/introducing_rats.php)

Sounds like they're just trying to entertain themselves even if if's starting a playfight. Young kids are full of energy & ratties have brains that need entertaining. Sounds more like keeping busy than sorting out heirarchys even. I don't think you have anything to worry about, even if you see a mild owie on someone. It sounds like normal youthful exhuberance.

I've just got 2 baby girls, on 18th October, and although most of the time they sleep together, it's not uncommon for one to be in the furry bag, or tube, and one to be laid on bare plastic in the corner.

And if they're fighting, are you sure it's not just baby fighting? Mine do it a lot... it's hilarious :rofl3: Proper fighting is very quick, with sharp attacks, and screaming rather than squeaking, and there may be slight pauses in between attacks where both rats are completely frozen... it's a bit scary!

Whereas baby fighting, although still quick, is very bouncy and they ping around and roll around together often with squeaks of frustration and little nips... They will roll all over and bounce about litterally "pinging" and if you make a loud noise, they will both usually stop and look at you with their cute fuzzy faces... if you make a loud noise when a serious fight is going on, chances are they will pay you no attention.

As SQ said, don't separate them unless one actually gets hurt... baby rats can be very vocal - one of mine squeaks blue bloody murder if I pick her up when she's in bed, but is perfectly ok!

I wouldn't worry at all, and don't take them apart, just keep an eye on them, and all should be fine... I highly doubt it's serious enough for one to get hurt more than a couple of nips.

Keep us updated :D

The rule of thumb is "No Blood, No Foul." So long as they don't seriously hurt each other, leave them together. They'll work it out soon enough. With the 4 in the tank at the shop, there might have been another alpha, or else the second girl you purchased thinks she may have a chance at being alpha. They'll sort it out soon and things will quiet down. As a note, my youngest and my oldest are absolute best friends, but even they don't always sleep together. Often I'll find one in a hammock and the other head sleeping by herself in a corner. It really is personal choice 99% of the time.

Starfoot....you said...."And if they're fighting, are you sure it's not just baby fighting? Mine do it a lot... it's hilarious Proper fighting is very quick, with sharp attacks, and screaming rather than squeaking, and there may be slight pauses in between attacks where both rats are completely frozen... it's a bit scary!

Whereas baby fighting, although still quick, is very bouncy and they ping around and roll around together often with squeaks of frustration and little nips... They will roll all over and bounce about literally "pinging" and if you make a loud noise, they will both usually stop and look at you with their cute fuzzy faces... if you make a loud noise when a serious fight is going on, chances are they will pay you no attention.
"

It is pretty much like that. I just was worried the first time I seen it...I thought OH NO I bought two so one wouldn't be alone...and I work at night, and thought,,,I sure hope they don't end up hurting each other while I am gone. They do this exactly as you said..they ping around and roll like a ball of fur, when I clap and say no...they stop and look at me as it to shrug their shoulders and sometimes go at it again. One is very dominate already....I the silly feisty one...the minute I walk into the room she springs up and grabs the cage and starts climbing all over as if yelling hey hey over here over here....then if I open the door, she flies out and jumps on me, the other quietly walks up and smells at me. So one is already dominate!

Thanks for everyones advice, soon as they get acclimated enough for me to get them out more for play time, I will take a couple of pics and introduce them. :p They are adorable!

Thanks
Paula

Babies are usually obnoxious and loud. They complain and squeak and carry on like they are being killed...LOL.

Here is a noisy playfight sequence I got with my camera. The "combatants" are 2 baby sisters I adopted from Melissa on this forum. :)

ThewrestlingbeginsAug18.jpg

Gonnakickyatothecurbsistah.jpg

Takethat.jpg

Bluegetsthepin.jpg

And the takedown!
Illegalhold.jpg

Babies are hilarious when they bounce, wrestle and chase each other. Don't worry, just enjoy it :)

haha lilspaz that is EXACTLY what they are doing it's funny...and I was worried. What kind of cereal is that in their bowl?? I gave my other girl the one who died Cheerios once in a while or a fruit loop, was not sure how much sugar is to much, but seems like you have a handful or so in there, what is it?

Question for anyone, the last rat I had was fairly young, these girls I have now are way younger, is it ever to young to start giving them bananas, peas, yogurt treats, cereal etc? I didnt know how soon to start doing any of that.....I have had several ratties before, but usually they have been rescues and a bit older.

Thanks again for everyones advice
Paula

If you can avoid them, yogurt drops [yogies] are pretty much bad junk food. Healthy treats like Cheerios, Gerber Puffs, and fresh fruit are much better treats. There's nothing you can't feed them just because they're younger, though you may want to introduce new foods a bit slower. Delicate little tums can make a mighty mess.

Back