Advice about Dorian making snuffly sounds sometimes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlene

My Dorian sometimes makes sounds that are like he has allergies or something. He does not seem sick, just sounds funny sometimes. I am watching him to see if he gets worse, but it's never gotten to the point that he seemed to need treatment. I've thought about giving him Baytril for a few weeks to see if it helps, but I hate to put him on antibiotics if he doesn't need them. My other thought was that if it is allergies, maybe Benedryl might help when he sounds like this. He mostly only does it when he gets excited, kind of like exercise asthma or something. What does everyone think? Am I worrying too much? Thanks!

How old is he?

I have heard of some male rats making funny little noises, especially when they are excited and it is nothing to worry about.

mamarat said:
I've had rats making "macho" noises especially during out time.
LOL! I'd love to hear what that sounds like. I can just picture a male ratty standing on his hind feet flexing making "Tim the tool man Taylor" grunts.

Hi Arlene,
Does it sound like monkey noises or a very low oinking noise?
The monkey noises, could be allergies or a precursor to something bigger. You could try giving him an allergy elixir, Benedryl would work. My vet told me a dose of 0.5ml twice a day is safe.
If it's actually a very low oinking noise, that would be the "macho" sound mamarat is talking of. Rats, females and males will do this when getting excited. I've noticed it more when they are showing their dominance.

Dorian is 16 months old. Monkey sounds? Oinking? I wish I knew how to make a sound recording! :? He's not Alpha, Devin definitely is so I don't think it is a macho thing. It doesn't sound like a monkey either or at least what I perceive a monkey to sound like. Maybe I should try the Benedryl as a diagnostic tool. If it helps then it is probably allergies. Do I give it every day or just when he is making that noise?

I hate to do it, but Dorian sounds even more congested today so I decided to start him on Baytril. Hopefully that will help! :(

Arlene said:
I hate to put him on antibiotics if he doesn't need them.
Bless you for that.
Are you certain it's a respiratory problem before you commit to respiratory teatment?
You didn't say if Dorian's problems are constant or periodic. I've had an older kid or 2 that periodically breath noisily when they sleep but are ok when awake?

Yeah I am pretty sure that Dorian needed the meds if Arlene put him on them. I also have a snuffly girl that is perfectly healthy but once she tips over a certain line I know, on to meds she goes.

Hi Fidget,

Dorian's respiratory problems have been periodic in the past, but have become more frequent. I've been watching and waiting for him to make the noise all the time before I put him on antibiotics. I have also left a message for my vet to call me so I can ask her what she would advise. Thanks for your concern!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Right now Dorian is out playing and running around like a nut. He's certainly not letting it get him down! :lol4:

Arlene, I know you are a very experienced rat owner... So I'm sure you know, but now that you have started the baytril I would continue on with it for 3 weeks even if he stops making the noise after a few days.

It seems like the constant battles with chronic "wheezies" :) (URI) seem to be much worse when only doing short courses of antibiotics at a time.

Glad to see that Dorian is doing well though!!

Arlene said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Right now Dorian is out playing and running around like a nut. He's certainly not letting it get him down! :lol4:
That is so good to hear. How is he doing today?

Back