Adventures in Cage Restoration:Bye Bye Birdcage, Hello DCN!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asheka said:
Loving the progress! Can't wait to see it all painted up!!
With the weight of the cage itself, and then add in rats and hammocks and toys, I'd be afraid of the bars getting bent some...Even just a board on top and nail it if the stand isn't going to be used elsewhere...and then it could be painted to match either your white stuff...or the cage :giggle:
I'm not worried abotut he bars bending ( frame of eache panel has a big thick tub thing ( like a square hollow piece of metal ( like a cn) it has a frame, so the frame would be what is sitting on the wood, my worry is that if the fram is tht is sitting just a few inches off the side, it would fall right throguh haha. So yes, I'll need to find soemthing to put down on top.

Since it already had a lazy susan thing on top , I hcan jsut dril hole into the spots where there was already screws, so thats no biggy, but I'll deal with that later.

Still haven't gotten a chance to paint it :gaah: Its such a daunting task and I need a helper, but not many people are willing to help. I want to do it sometime this next week, as I'm going to Mexico for 2 weeks. If I can get it done before I go they can go into it when I get back ( well a bit afterwards lol )

I promise I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done with it :D and definitely pictures when its all set up :3 I have the first coat on many of the pieces, and it is looking good may take some work in progress pictures to wet your whistle ;)

Okay guys, finally getting my arse in gear and painting this sucker. I painted the full first coat on on of the side panels tonight, didn't take me long and I will be painting the rest tomorrow, probably be able to get all the coats on as well, so that's good!

And since I got a new camera, I'll grab some work in progress photos :D So that's fun :3 Then by my calculations ( leaving it for 3 weeks to cure I think, to be safe) it will be ready for use onnnnn The 19th of August :D which is 2 days after I get home, so that will be fun! My grandparents are coming to visit, and well I am interested in their reaction to my little girlies ahahaha.

For now, I will sleep so I can get up early to paint!

so I didn't get the whollleeee thing painted but I did finish the first coat and some of the second coat :D I'll finish ti up I believe on Sunday or Monday haha

Pictures to come

Guessssss whattttttt? IT'S PAINTED! My mom finished it up while I was away in Mexico, so it should be ready to use this Saturday! ( Can you tell how excited I am ? : D ) Pictures to come when I get around to putting it together, hopefully tonight so I can make up soem liners and figure out how I want to decorate it and figure out if my stand will be sufficient.

Haha, I was gonna wait til I had it all set up and full of rattys but I guess I could give y'all a teaser of the cage painted but still empty haha.

So without further ado, here it is, all red and fancy!

DSCN0599.jpg

The full cage ( minus the pull out tray that I was too lazy to put in)

DSCN0598.jpg

The bottom

DSCN0597.jpg

And the top.

I am soooo excited for tomorrow because I get to decorate it and put the girls in : D

ALMOST DONE SETTING IT UP! Pics to come as soon as I fleece it up! Are you guys as excited as I am?

Only problem with this cage is that it feels soooo empty with only 2 ;) I NEED MORE!

IT'S DONE! HOORAY! Only took me since April LOL

Today was an exciting day, I went to ikea and bought a new desk! My old one ' committed suicide according to my father. It broke into a billion pieces when he pulled it to move for flooring.

Anddd of course I got the new cage up and runnin!

So without further ado PICTURES : D

Full cage:

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

Top half: spudnik, Ikea bag holder ( NEW), flat hammock, tube hammock ( aka fleece leg warmer) , tiny milk crate, various hanging toys.

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0613.jpg

Bottom half: Litter box, igloo full of fleece strips, cube hammock, desk organizer, rope perch, 2 braids of fleece, food bowl. Plus a big hammock in the middle to break any falls. Oh and a fleece hanging toy I made, plus some random hanging toys)

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

Release the rats! They went crazy running around haha.

DSCN0621.jpg

DSCN0622.jpg

DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0626.jpg

Since, I have switched the shelf and cage around so that they are next to my bed again, cause I like that.

I am in LOVE with this cage! It was a breeze to decorate ( once I figured out howww to decorate it) and its soo sturdy!
The only thing I don't like is that its right on the ground. I don't know how the rats would feel about the cats being at the same level as them. I think I'll look for a stand for it.

I will say it was well worth the wait. I love it! you did a great job painting and decorating it! Your rats will be thrilled!

Back