Adventures in Cage Restoration:Bye Bye Birdcage, Hello DCN!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

So just found on Craigslist that someone is getting rid of a " extra large rat/ferret cage" For FREE! I'm gonna go by tomorrow after church to check it out. If it's bigger than the one I have now it's mine ;)! I really hope its nice.. and still there haha Then I can sell off my rabbit cage and Rat resort then boom , I'm set haha.

Edit: Since I got it, I'll make this thread about the restoration process to keep you guys posted ; )

Yup I'm pretty excited! If I get it I'll post pictures! :D But if it's smaller than the cage I have now then I will probably leave it.

So I got it! It turns out it was a bird flight cage... and you know what that means ? HALF INCH BAR SPACING! My arms are already thanking me for no more scars! That hard ware cloth does the job but boy is it painful!. Anyway, its 40 inches high, 30 wide and 17 deep. Holds 5 rats ( I have 2 ) and is completely metal. No more plastic bottoms for me. It's a bit bigger than the bunny cage I have them in now ( it holds 4) But the floor space is less. However, since it was a bird cage It had metal grating on the floor. I want to try to cut a piece off of that and make it into a second full floor half way up. If possible. It came with one shelf, but it's pretty small and well. I don't like it ha ha so I will make my own, like usual. All in all I' pretty excited.

So I went to check it out after church and when I first saw it I was kinda disappointed. This thing was DIRTY .. and rusty and dirty and just plain ick. So I left it. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted it. So I went back to pick it up.. Only problem.. It didn't fit in my car :emb: . So we drove back home and went with the truck to get it. Luckily it was still there. Upon bringing it home, I took it apart ( its really sturdy, with screws and the like) and pressure washed it like mad. It got most of the dirt off but still was pretty grimy. So now I am in the process of scrubbing it down ( taking a break to right this before I tackle the 2 biggest panels ( with the doors) . Taking a lot of man power and muscle to scrub this thing clean but it's turning out pretty nice. It's almost white again :joy: . The only problem is the rust. It's pretty bad. I think they stored it out side and well.. if you know anything about west coast weather.. that's not great for metal... We are in a rain forest after all.

So I think I will be painting this sucker. I have read rustoleum works well, and I know to get something waterproof and child safe. Anything else I should look out for? I'll do a forum search later on tonight, but if you guys have any idea let me know. Also open to colour suggestions. Blue would match my room but I am partial to red and purple ; ) Plus I loved the look of someone's red FF on here :thumbup: ( sorry I can't remember who it was) .

Anyways, I'm off to continue scrubbing. I'll post up some picture later tonight, when I put it back together! Might make up some liners as well. It have a nice little pull out bottom like most bird cages do.

Adios! Happy Easter!

It's all scrubded up! After a few hours ( with a break for turkey) I turned the creamy yellow colour cage into al... WHITE?!?! cage. I was a bit shocked.. I just thought that was the colour of the paint... Kinda gross. Anyways., there is a bunch of spots that jsut wouldn't come clean and some rust spots so I will go out tomorrow to get some paint( hopefully) bright red or royal purple? I'll make a poll ;). Maybe deep green, or royal blue : O So many options. Or just plain black? All I know is I DONT want White. Too boring. all my cages have been white.

One more thing just to well give you guys as many nightmares as It will give me. I was spraying out the front panel and a big ear wig came out D: I really hope it was the last one... I sprayed out all the holes in the frame and all the water drained out... so maybe it was just a loner. Hopefully...

Anyway, I'm gonna set it up now, take some pictures and try to figure out some shelves and a stand. Stay tuned!

Call around to powder coating places and ask for quotes to have it sand blasted and re-painted. Call lots of places though as prices will vary widely. A good sand blasting will take all that rust off and powder coating will last a really long time.

Rissa said:
Call around to powder coating places and ask for quotes to have it sand blasted and re-painted. Call lots of places though as prices will vary widely. A good sand blasting will take all that rust off and powder coating will last a really long time.

I'll check it out!

Okay cage setting up is on pause cause as I was trying put in a screw, I felt that something was blocking the way and I looked in and there was a big weird looking bug.. dead but It freaked me out enough to not want to touch the cage at least not for a while... I don't know what to do ... if there is bugs in it I don't know how to get them out... and I don't really want the rats in there if that's the case... ARGH I've got the hebejeebee's now : (

Perhaps if I end up getting it powder coated then they can sand blast all the bugs out...

What do you guys think I should do? I Probably drowned them all... but I don't like thinking that they are in there... but that's the second one...

This si just really disappointing..

Cinderwolf said:
Perhaps if I end up getting it powder coated then they can sand blast all the bugs out...
If you're going to get it powder coated you'll probably have to get it sand blasted anyway. Sand blasting would almost certainly get rid of any bugs (or bodies) that might be left.

Bamboo said:
Cinderwolf said:
If you're going to get it powder coated you'll probably have to get it sand blasted anyway. Sand blasting would almost certainly get rid of any bugs (or bodies) that might be left.

Yeah, I emailed a few places for quotes on blasting ( 2 are do it your self places). Might be able to sand blast it then just paint it ( really not into paying a ton of money to restore this cage seeing as it was free : P ) I know my school's shop class has a sand blasting machine... I think I'm going to ask my friend really nicely if he could blast it for me ( probably will say no but worth a shot)

Anyways, we will see. I will be bleaching it anyways, so it will kill off all the bugs.. just not sure if they will come out D:

Okay, so I got a quote back from one sand blaster so far, and he says 25 dollars to blast it and he forwarded my email to a powder coater for a quote. Doesn't seem to expensive but I'll keep looking around for better prices and hopefully a place that can do both blasting and coating at the same place

Okay so to save on costs, I'm going to be doing it all at home. I read a website about cage restoration and I'm going to sand it down with sand paper then prime it and paint it and according to the poll, Royal purple seems ot be the choice ; ) So I'll look into getting soem nice purple paint.

I wana see pictures of this thing! You should take before and after pictures. xD That way we all can see how awesome it looks after. 8)

Good luck with the cleaning and the bug extraction. xD;; If you get some sort of air pressure hose, that could also help to blast out any bug bodies, cuz that's some really strong air blowing out and all. Could check if a neighbor has anything you can use. Just a thought.

Good luck! =D

Cinderwolf said:
Okay so to save on costs, I'm going to be doing it all at home. I read a website about cage restoration and I'm going to sand it down with sand paper then prime it and paint it and according to the poll, Royal purple seems ot be the choice ; ) So I'll look into getting soem nice purple paint.

Can you add a link to that website?

Taralovesbrandon said:
Oooh I am excited to see a royal purple cage!!

Well, I didn't get any purple paint, because the only purple they had was this really ugly shade.. so I got bright red instead haha.

Okay guys, I finally got around to setting up the cage to take some pictures as well as get a feel for the sizing of it. It's bigger then I remember. In fact it will not fit in the spot I wanted to put it ( because there is an electrical outlet there :redhot: ) So I may have to rearrange my whole room just to fit it in there :gaah:

Anyways, here are some pictures of it. I wish I had taken some pictures right after I had gotten it... it was a mess. So these are after my massive cleaning and scrubbing and de-rusting. It is actually white... when we first picked it up, we thought it was cream coloured... :thud: eww.

size comparison with their current cage.

It's really sturdy which is nice.

2 doors on the front as well as a small door on each side.

a floor space comparison. Although the base on the bunny cage actually has less floor space since it is tapered.

That cage is awesome!

I have a cage similar, but I don't have the screws to put it back together :p

after much searching I found a photo from when it was sort of set up (before I took it apart for storage)

SAM_0605.jpg

KayleeBby said:
That cage is awesome!

I have a cage similar, but I don't have the screws to put it back together :p

after much searching I found a photo from when it was sort of set up (before I took it apart for storage)

SAM_0605.jpg

Ohh thats a nice looking cage, I wish mine had a stand, I don't like having it sit right on the floor. I have carpet :p

Back