Additional baby rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoz

Good evening all,
Hope your well
I’ve had my first two rats for around 9 weeks and they are about 21 weeks or just a bit younger.
They come out of their cage quite quickly and are confident me being around, climb on me and sniff my neck.
I bought two 8 week old girls on Saturday from the same place, I left them in the carrier for a few hours in the same room as my other two. I’ve a flat bed cage that I’ve transferred them too with water, food, bedding and hides, corner litter tray. I’ve began transferring each other’s bedding as the sites say. My older two were quite inquisitive at the sound and scent of the other two. I’m just wondering when to put them all into a carrier? Or do I do it another way? Any advise would be appreciated and thank you in advance

Good evening all,
Hope your well
I’ve had my first two rats for around 9 weeks and they are about 21 weeks or just a bit younger.
They come out of their cage quite quickly and are confident me being around, climb on me and sniff my neck.
I bought two 8 week old girls on Saturday from the same place, I left them in the carrier for a few hours in the same room as my other two. I’ve a flat bed cage that I’ve transferred them too with water, food, bedding and hides, corner litter tray. I’ve began transferring each other’s bedding as the sites say. My older two were quite inquisitive at the sound and scent of the other two. I’m just wondering when to put them all into a carrier? Or do I do it another way? Any advise would be appreciated and thank you in advance
Since they're still decently young I'd say the sooner the better(younger rats are far easier to integrate), I tend to prefer the open neutral setting with plenty of enrichment to keep them occupied, a little tussle is to be expected but if there's no blood try not to interfere, I'm going to be entirely honest, I did get new rats once before I knew much about them and I just kind of put them together the same day I got them(thankfully they were all fine) but they were still babies and very accepting, my point is I don't think you can do worse than that!(for the record of anyone reading this, I would never recommend doing what I did nor do I plan on it in the future LOL)

Since they're still decently young I'd say the sooner the better(younger rats are far easier to integrate), I tend to prefer the open neutral setting with plenty of enrichment to keep them occupied, a little tussle is to be expected but if there's no blood try not to interfere, I'm going to be entirely honest, I did get new rats once before I knew much about them and I just kind of put them together the same day I got them(thankfully they were all fine) but they were still babies and very accepting, my point is I don't think you can do worse than that!(for the record of anyone reading this, I would never recommend doing what I did nor do I plan on it in the future LOL)
Ok, I have just hand fed all of them, no snatching, I’ve been scent swapping bedding today and yesterday, I have a carrier big enough for all four, they say do it smaller to begin with and work up bigger, I look forward to them all being in one cage but it’s time thanks for replying

Ok, I have just hand fed all of them, no snatching, I’ve been scent swapping bedding today and yesterday, I have a carrier big enough for all four, they say do it smaller to begin with and work up bigger, I look forward to them all being in one cage but it’s time thanks for replying
I wish you luck with the introductions!

I wish you luck with the introductions!
Hiya, it’s good news here so far, I managed to get all 4 rats into carrier no problem, they all getting on, grooming each other, sleeping together, all cuddled up, I’m so pleased, I was putting it off, I will get a bigger carrier ready for the next stage, get the large cage cleaned, but I think they will be ok, few tiny squeaks but salt the baby does squeak, she did when we picked her up. Keep you updated
Thanks,

Hi there, hope your all well
So I decided because there was no blood, fur flying, aggressive behaviour, I gutted the 5 tier cage I have here, cleaned it,bleached it,put vinegar everywhere, attached more cable ties, let the cage dry, I then many hours later added them all to the cage, the newbies were following the other two everywhere, obviously like a playground compared to the flat bed cage they were in, witnessed siding, few kicks, mounting but nothing serious, I left them in the cage overnight listening for noises etc and everyone seems ok, hand fed them chicken and treats this morning, all asleep now, they must be shattered, keep you updated.

Hey, by chance can you share some pics of your rats and their new setup?

Hey, by chance can you share some pics of your rats and their new setup?
Hi, I have changed a few things but very similar to this, they still sleeping bless

Attachments

• ECEA3BBA-0B55-4787-B7C2-E3BA98B48015.jpeg
    ECEA3BBA-0B55-4787-B7C2-E3BA98B48015.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Wow, that looks cozy! They must be overjoyed with the new setup. How are the newbies faring so far? :)

Back