Acute paraphimosis in 2.5 year old male, advice please!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiddlePod

Hey All--

This morning I was fussing over Beans and Pi as usual and noticed something unusual with our chunky boy Pi. Pi was cleaning his weenie without any issues and from what I could see, he was able to retract it fully while cleaning it...the only issue is that when he finished, I noticed w/ my eagle eyes that he had a bit of pink poking out. I scooped him up and examined him closer and I could clearly see that the very tip of his penis was poking out past his furry sheath when it should be tucked in behind it. I thought maybe it was still a little stimulated by him cleaning himself and that is what was keeping the tip from fully retracting back behind the shealth but 20 minutes later the tip was still poking out. :(

I scooped him up again and rechecked him. It looked like the foreskin that should retract over the entire penis when it is pulled back into the furry sheath isn't rolling forward over the penis, if that makes sense. I've never dealt with this before and I've never notice it happen with Pi before this, so I used my judgement and had my husband help me apply a gob of KY jelly to Pi's penis tip that was poking out to see if that would help get it to retract back in. It didn't help much and the very tip of his weenier was still poking out...I think since we applied the KY to the tip instead of fully retracting the penis, that this may be why it didn't help much. FYI I also have him a dose of metacam about an hour and a half ago to help with any swelling and/or pain. Pi didn't squeak or flinch when examining his penis, just typical squirminess.

So, poor Pi got scooped out again and I retracted as much of his penis out as I could (I didn't want to aggravate it even more, so I was very conservative of how much I coaxed out but it was a good amount that was pushed out) and we saturated the entire penis with KY and let it draw back on it's own.

Doing it this way worked a lot better and Pi's penis was able to draw back further into the correct position BUT the very tippy tip of his penis still wanted to poke out. It seemed like the furry sheath was a little rolled to where it looks bunched up (kind of like an o-ring) with the very tippy tip of his penis just poking out slightly, which was an improvement because before the KY application, more of the tip of his penis was poking out but it worries me because the very tip is still poking out.

I plan to check him again in an hour and see if his penis has fully retracted like it should. If it is still poking out, I plan to retract it and lubricate it with a good amount of KY to keep it hydrated and hopefully get it to fully retract into the shealth.

Does anyone have any other guidance in treating paraphimosis? So far it has only been the tip of the penis poking out slightly. Pi is a little chubby but he has always been good about grooming his man parts and I have never noticed this happening before. Of course if it doesn't resolve after trying the KY again, we definitely plan to take him to see a veterinarian at the Emergency vet (it's Sunday here and his exotics vet office is closed and Monday is a holiday so they're closed then as well). Unfortunately the ER vet hospital may or may not have one of their exotics veterinarians on staff today but hopefully we can manage this at home and it resolves without the stress of an ER vet visit. I'm not sure what they would do aside from what we have been doing already but at least they can maybe try to work it back in manually under anesthesia if it comes down to that.

Please share experiences and advice! I'll update in a hour or so and hopefully his penis will be back to normal! Thanks in advance!

Also forgot to mention that Pi is urinating with out any issues and there is no blood in the urine.

Update! So it's been over an hour so we checked Pi again and saw that the tip of his penis was still poking out :(

We went to apply more KY again but this time I tried to work the penis out a little further so that I could see what the heck was going on with the foreskin since I noticed that it must have been rolled back since it wasn't visible-- only the actual penis was visible. It took a few minutes and Pi was not having fun (lots of squirming) but I managed to retract more and finally saw the darker skinned foreskin that was actually rolled up and stuck! And I instantly smelled that familiar stinky fishy smell... Guess what was stuck way under the foreskin and rolled up in a stinky ball o_O ...a huge, smelly sebaceous plug managed to get jammed up under the foreskin and was preventing it from rolling forward so that everything could fit back in the shealth! So, the plug popped out instantly and fell on the floor :eek: we put more KY on his penis and in it went like a normal penis! Hooray!

I checked for a plug twice but I didn't smell one and wasn't able to find it since the thing was really stuffed up there. I have no idea how that happened but I'm guessing that when he tried to clean himself it may have lodged itself under the foreskin at some point when he retracted his wiener. Hopefully it wasn't like that for long but I'm glad that I noticed that something wasn't right.

I'll have to keep an eye out for plugs in case this happens again but glad we kept at it and found the culprit! Yay! :)

Great result!!!! Glad it worked out... Darn penis plugs

Yes! We were so worried!! As much as poor Pi hated it, I'm glad that I kept trying to investigate! That thing was hiding way up there! Persistence and patience! I'm just glad we didn't give up and end up stressing him out with a visit to the vet ER not to mention paying the crazy cost of an ER visit!:eek:

Also checked our Pi guy early this morning and everything looks great and the way it should :D Guess I just gotta keep an eye out in case it ever happens again but now I know that it is likely a pesky penis plug and to keep searching for it!

Also like to report that we found the stinky, mummified plug mashed in the carpet this morning... we lost it yesterday after it ejected out and went flying into the air :confused: haha so all is well. Hopefully this thread will help other rattie parents dealing with acute paraphimosis :)

Back