The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveDustyrats

I’m not sure this post is allowed here Im new to this site. When my rat was free roaming around my room which I had changed a lot due to her habits of climbing and chewing on things, I was playing with her and it was close to when I had to sleep so I went to change my pants into pajamas. I’m on the heavier side so I had to lean on my dresser. I didn’t see her by my feet and I had wobbled and slipping on her. (Trigger warning) (blood’,bones)
I heard her bones crack, she was spewing blood out of her mouth and nose I called my grandmother into the room immediately. I feel horribly I would never hurt an animal on purpose like that. Everything was fine a minute ago and she’s dead now. We tried to calm her down or soothe her while she was dying we had no pain pills on hand. Her ribs were out of place. We called for emergency vets in our are but to no avail they didn’t respond in time. My great grandmother whom at the same time had to go to the E.R for bronchitis. I feel horrible for my little gremlin(gremlin was her name) she was far too young to leave us she about 9 months to a year old. I had a much older rat whom I had to put down the 23 of December due to a pituitary tumor, she was 3 and a half years old, I was just recently contacted by someone I knew that they need to re-home two young rats because his landlord doesn’t want them. I feel like this is a strange blessing of some sort. But I feel so bad that I feel I’m unfit to be have another pair of rats as furry children. If I could turn back time I could. I feel horrible . What should I do?

That is just horrible! I am SOOO sorry you went through such a tragedy 😭. I can't even imagine what your feeling. Such heartache.

I suggest you go ahead and take on the other fur babies..... Accidents happen! It is such a tragedy but I'm sure she knows you didn't mean for that to happen. She knew she was loved and had a happy life so just keep thinking of the good times y'all had together and move on. If you need time (which I do suggest taking) to grieve ask your friend for it. I'm sure they'll understand completely :).

Back