Abscess in mouth?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallis

I have an older boy named Pudgy. He’s a rescue so I don’t know how old he is exactly, but I know he’s over 2. He’s always been a big boy, so when he started losing weight I made him a vet appointment. The earliest they can get him in is July 5, and the appointment was made a few weeks ago.
I started noticing when he bruxed he would wipe his mouth immediately after. I didn’t know what that meant, but he’s been doing it a lot today and he won’t eat some of his favorite things. I tried giving him softer things and he’s eating them, but he won’t eat anything hard. His front teeth look good, but I think maybe there’s an abscess that I can’t see. What should I do for him? Im going to try to get him to the vet sooner, but is there anything I can do while I wait for his appointment?

I'd just soak his rat blocks in cool water and make a mush, so he can eat something nutritious, and keep an eye on him. Look for any signs he may be getting worse. His teeth may need to be trimmed.

Back