Abandoned rat or mouse?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oopsy

I found 2 lil babies sitting alone in the middle of a hot parking lot yesterday. i kind of think someone dumped them there? they didn’t look too dirty or thin, but they were totally alone right next to each other, and i couldn’t find any trace of a mother or other siblings. it was hot so i know if i left them they would have just cooked out on the blacktop. otherwise i wouldn’t have taken them.
i think they’re mice but i’ve only ever had cats/dogs, so I don’t know for sure. I think I might have better luck finding them a home sooner if they’re rats, but I’m not sure.
26EDC0AD-0E6F-4AD3-AB11-DC6C76E89B4C.jpeg
47878680-5616-40FA-B709-4EA9288510C9.jpeg

I’ve been feeding them KMR every 2 hours (should I be feeding them more often??). They do get a little milk belly going, and have started pooping/peeing after feedings when i stimulate them. i know they might not make it, i just hated that they might die in that hot parking lot.

oh, and i have two cats right now. it’s easy to keep them separate from the babies right now, but i don’t think i can keep the babies and ensure their safety as well as someone without cats.

Those are baby deer mice I think. Feeding them every 2-3 hours is perfect. Here is a series of videos by my friend Aud who raised mice from infancy. HEre is the playlist

That's the video I think I watched when I hand raised two mice almost 2 years ago....I watched so many at that time. Mine had just barely got their fur when I got them. They are now happy, fat, healthy mice! Almost 2 years later. ☺️

Their nest chance of survival is to be carefully added to the litter of a nursing mama
There is some info in our reference section
Hopefully you are not syringe feeding as the formula may go into the lungs, instead people now use a new, clean, tiny paint brush that the babies can suck
I hope the babies make it.

There are some good groups on facebook re raising orphaned mice.
They can never be released and must stay as pets.
Here is a video by a former member of a male wild mouse with two female pet friends .... depending on the species of male, they can be housed with 2 female pet mice or if they could reproduce with domestic mice, then with 2 female ASFs.... hopefully both the babies will do well and are girls so they can stay together

That's the video I think I watched when I hand raised two mice almost 2 years ago....I watched so many at that time. Mine had just barely got their fur when I got them. They are now happy, fat, healthy mice! Almost 2 years later. ☺
I'm so happy for you. I love little mice. Aud is awesome. Her videos are the best ones I've ever seen.

Back