A little dilemma (down to one rat)....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPGG

I am down to my last rat, as my other one died from cancer a couple of days ago, and I am very aware how social rats are. I am not planning to get new rats anytime soon, and I am trying to spend as much time as possible with my last baby, but I know it will not be the same as interacting with other rats and having his brothers to play and cuddle with. I thought about rehoming, but I don't know anyone who owns a rat around me. What are ways for me to make sure my baby doesn't get depressed and would feel less lonely?

If there are any good rat rescues around you, you could let your rat live there with the other rats in the rescue. Some rat rescues may also let you "rent" (sorry, that sounds really bad but I don't know how else to phrase it) out rats to keep your boy company :) For the rehoming idea, you can post an ad on craigslist- the thing is, some people on craigslist buy rats as snake food or would not give your boy a good life, so you'd have to ask the possible adopter lots of questions :lol:

For now, I would just continue spending as much time as possible with your rat. You could get one of those bonding pouches or wear a hoodie backwards, and keep your boy in there while you do chores, etc.

Adding onto the reply above- depending on the age of your rat it may not be in their best interest to rehome them if they're attached to you. And if they're elderly I feel like keeping them is the best option even if they don't have another rat with them(and they get attention from you of course-)

If there are any good rat rescues around you, you could let your rat live there with the other rats in the rescue. Some rat rescues may also let you "rent" (sorry, that sounds really bad but I don't know how else to phrase it) out rats to keep your boy company :) For the rehoming idea, you can post an ad on craigslist- the thing is, some people on craigslist buy rats as snake food or would not give your boy a good life, so you'd have to ask the possible adopter lots of questions :lol:

For now, I would just continue spending as much time as possible with your rat. You could get one of those bonding pouches or wear a hoodie backwards, and keep your boy in there while you do chores, etc.

I would definitely look into rat rescues that lends out rats! Thank you for the info! But the craigslist ad idea terrifies me and will probably not do it O_O I do have a bonding pouch and hoodie that I use to bring him around the house:)

Adding onto the reply above- depending on the age of your rat it may not be in their best interest to rehome them if they're attached to you. And if they're elderly I feel like keeping them is the best option even if they don't have another rat with them(and they get attention from you of course-)
My rat is 1 yr and 8 months old. I've never done rat introductions as my rats all came from the same litter and has been together since birth.

Foster. Fostering a rat from a shelter is a great idea. It can give your baby companionship, while helping the rescue, and the rat in need. If this is an option, try to ask for a rat around your rat's age. There are lots of ways to intro rats. Www.joinrats.com has good info for that. Just be sure to let the rescue know you may only be able to temporarily foster the new rat.

Foster. Fostering a rat from a shelter is a great idea. It can give your baby companionship, while helping the rescue, and the rat in need. If this is an option, try to ask for a rat around your rat's age. There are lots of ways to intro rats. Www.joinrats.com has good info for that. Just be sure to let the rescue know you may only be able to temporarily foster the new rat.

Thank you for the info! I have been looking at rat rescues and joined a facebook page dedicated to rescuing small animals, specifically rats! Haven’t found the right one yet but getting into it.

He doesn't need rehoming. He has been with you since babyhood so it would be unfair to him. Renting a rat or homing some from a rescue until they are formally adopted is a great idea. You get to give back to a rescue in honour of the rats you've lost. Then they'll be adopted and you won't have to worry about it.

He doesn't need rehoming. He has been with you since babyhood so it would be unfair to him. Renting a rat or homing some from a rescue until they are formally adopted is a great idea. You get to give back to a rescue in honour of the rats you've lost. Then they'll be adopted and you won't have to worry about it.
I honestly do not want to separate from him, but I do want the best for him. I am looking into fostering:)

Back