A cure for tumors in Rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey Rattie Friends!
I've read articles on Turkey Tail Mushroom and also Inositol for rats. Apparently it's supposed to help either slow down the progression of tumors or prevent them all together.

Has anyone heard of this? And if so, do you know doses? What are your thoughts on this?

Anything I could do to prolong these little rat's lives...I'm all for it!

-M.
:ratwave:

I've used the mushroom powder (coriollus versicolor) in a mix of flax seed oil, plain organic yogurt, goji berries, pau 'darco for a number of years. In some cases, it did shrink or, at least, slow tumor growth. It can vary from rat to rat; others I know have also had success with it. You can try and see. I bought the 'Bell's (manufacturer) coriollus versicolor capsules and used half a capsule each day in a mix of about 1 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp yogurt, about a tsp of water-softened and crushed goji berries, and 1/4 capsule of the pau d'arco for the 'average' adult rat (about 400 grams). They usually like the mix; you can also use flavored yogurt - some prefer that. Some people also use shark cartilage in the mix. If you do decide to do tumor removal surgery, stop this mix at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. Best of luck!

@carolweekes Thank you SO much! Your concoction sounds amazing! I wanna eat it! ;) I will try this and keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you again!
-M.

10 years ago, I tried a mycoplex coriollus and shark cartilage but it did nothing on the tumours so I opted for a spay and removal. So far, I have found that only spaying females will help in reducing the risk of benign mammary tumours.

I'm starting the mix with my solo 18 month old rat, again. Back in December he and his now deceased brother each had a small tumor start under a front armpit. Lester's felt harder right from the start, but Al's was soft and almost gelly-like; right up until two weeks ago it never got any bigger than a small soft sac about the size of a tiny grape. When Lester passed away in early June, Al was a bit despondent, but got back into his routine. Last week I noticed that the soft spot under the arm had faded away; then today when I felt him again, there's no 'jelly/soft' feel, but there is a tiny harder spot the size of a small green pea, and very moveable. This also seems to coincide with a recent rise in buck grease - sensing his initial grief caused a surge in hormones that affected both the buck grease and the change in this tumor area. So, although he'd been on this mix from December until early June, I'd stopped it for a few weeks. Given this is almost August, and this tumor area of his started in December, the fact that this little bump is still tiny speaks at least something towards this mix. He's otherwise very healthy. If you want to PM me, I'll let you know how it goes, and I hope the mix helps your little one!

Carol, that bump could be a simple benign sebaceous cyst which can shrink and grow on it's own. I've had several males develop small lumps that remained small. Some small bumps are actual abscesses that can take up to a year to finally come to a head.

Hi: I'd posted the mix above when I first posted. I'm still using the mix; the bump seems a tad smaller since starting it again a short while ago. It feels under the skin, not against the skin, which is why I'm assuming a benign tumor versus a cyst; had thought a cyst would be attached just below the skin. He did have an abscess when I first got him ten months ago, on his groin just above and to the left of his penis; warm compresses brought it to a 'head' and it oozed some pus for a day; it was cleared up with an antibiotic and cleaning. But this other lump under the arm (since December) felt more like a little sac of jelly under the skin, which shrunk and became a more solid lump the size of a pea under the skin a couple of weeks ago. Either way, using the mix as a general immune booster as well. I'm interested in hearing what this O-immune support is.

The only things I have found ( did try all the home remedies listed ) was the Birth control pellet I believe it is called Deslorelin pellets - They are rice sized and the rat doesn't need to be put under to get it . Ive only used it one two rats that were either too old or immune issues making surgery not an option . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deslorelin

Both times it shrank the tumor to almost nothing for 6 months - which is how long the drug seems to last in rats - The cost when I used it was $300 so around the smae if not more than surgery to remove the lump.

And additional add - if this is a rat that has multiple tumors or - this is not the first one ( first being removed via surgery ) That 9/ 10 in females ( esp spayed females) , it was actually the pituitary gland ( Ie early pre symptoms ) tumor that was the source of the mammary tumors. If thats the case - and you can afford it you can try placing the rat on Cabergoline the drug that treats PT . It will shrink and halt any budding mammary tumors - by treating at the source.

Mind you I have only had tumors on females - and having one had two males - Any lumps they had were one an abscess - the other a very slow growing tumor- ALmost felt like a wart - That he had for over 3 yrs and never gave him any issues nor grew bigger than a pea - He lived a long happy 5 plus yrs - No surgeries no resp issues . Had Hind end issues his last 2 yrs that he dealt with just fine .
Ive never had a male come down with PT either -
But my male exp is limited to 2 rats verses 14 females - But know males can have PT , just not sure if tumors are part of the PT picture in males ?? They are in females .

That kind of makes sense- all the sickest of my rats will eventually only chose to eat things like avacodo , butter ect, getting anything sweet down them causes a major upset

This is the first time I've ever seen something that could shrink/ slow a tumor. I've found others that have had positive results with this too which is awesome. I'm going to try it for my baby Daisy. She has a cherry tomato size squishy tumor under right arm pit and a smaller one starting on the left side. I hope it works for her *fingers crossed*

We use Maitake its a mushroom thing. So far Streaker's tumors are staying small. He has aggressive cancer and had a large tumor removed although she was unable to get it all.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are some loving rat owners, what with the not-cheap concoctions and all. I can only give you my experience, and that is from years of keeping detailed litter notes when I had Zen Rattery, but you may find this worthwhile to read. From the original litter:

1. Agouti f - adopted to Bellaratta (florida breeder). Line discontinued, but lived past 3
2&3. Agouti males Adopted to Blue Velvet (died of Sendai or something in 6 months) :(
4&5 - died in care of another breeder
6. Black m- adopted to former best friend, a local breeder, and confiscated at 8 mo. Diagnosed renal failure @ 1.5. Died 2 y 11 mo.
7. Black m - adopted to my vet. He was the only rat in the litter to show myco signs. Died at 2 y 2 mo
8. Black f - adopted to breeder of the litter's mother. Confiscated at 8 mo. Died 2 y 8 mo CANCER
9. Agouti f - Spayed, no tumor. Died 3 y 1 mo.
10. Black m - died of a weird illness, neither cancer nor myco, @2y2mo In hindsight, could have been acute renal

SUMMARY: littermates in my care from birth (cooked food diet) lived from 2-3, no cancer
Of the 2 confiscated rats (took them back from bad homes), one fed lab blocks got cancer , the other fed horse food developed renal
Conclusion: feed home-made, water-rich diet, NO SUGAR (sugar feeds cancer). If they still get cancer, they were going to get it anyway. I tried the same stuff as Jorats (mycoplex, mushrooms), but it did nothing. Trying to remove the cancer killed the rat, as within 3 says of surgery, there were 10 new tumors at the site of the old one. I remember it was weird but my mom developed a tumor at the same spot, at the same time as the rat. Even *with chemotherapy, my moms tumor multiplied when exposed to oxygen. Why they don't learn to remove cancer in an O2-free room idk!!!

We use Maitake its a mushroom thing. So far Streaker's tumors are staying small. He has aggressive cancer and had a large tumor removed although she was unable to get it all.

Streaker passed away a couple months ago. His tumor came back and brought many friends with it. RIP sweet baby...

However, Eldora has been on the Maitake mushrooms for months due to a inoperable tumor between her legs and although its grown - its not growing fast and so far (knock on wood) she is doing great.

What diet did you feed Canrats
I would like to know as well as a breakdown of amounts
and nutrients if possible

Several people are trying to come up with a good, homemade rat diet but thus far are unsuccessful .... adding questionable ingredients

Great post

we have had success with shrinking mammary tumors on rats that surgery was too dangerous using the deslorelin pellet implant - Search deslorelin here where I believe I documented our first use of it with a sweet rescue rat named Bear aka Nika

Re: Deslorelin pellets
That is interesting, I shall ask my friend who is a vet if he can get me some to try if my rats have tumors. So far the only remedies other than surgical removal of the tumor by a vet that have worked to shrink or suppress tumors in some of my rats have been a combination of Pau D'Arco, Essiac and Goji Berry extracts. I will usually give one at a time and then several hours later give one of the other remedies. While they've not worked on all my rats, I will try them when surgery to remove the tumor isn't an option and for some rats it completely shrank the tumors or made them stop growing larger.

Back