A cure for tumors in Rats?

Discussion in 'Diet' started by thegoldenrat, Jul 19, 2015.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 9, 2018 #21

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

Been wondering why do I never see a raw-only diet for rats? So many humans are into that. Are certain cooked foods for rats unreplaceable by raw?

2. Jun 9, 2018 #22

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

some food must be cooked for rats, other foods are ok raw or cooked (see forbidden foods list)
    and no one has come up with a whole food diet (no highly processed food) that meets all of their nutritional needs which is why many people feed a good quality block in addition to a variety of daily veg and healthy treats
    (Other people who don't care feed their rats all sorts of unhealthy things - you can read their posts on fb and other sites :( )

3. Jun 9, 2018 #23

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

Yeah the breeder I'd decided to not adopt from fed cupcakes.

4. Jun 9, 2018 #24

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Luckily, I never had to deal with tumours however, one of my closest friends who also has rats (12 girls) had to deal with tumours multiple times. She always said that for her, turmeric nearly always worked to reduce the tumour in size until she could take her girls into surgery.

Your best bet is definitely to go to the vet, please don’t rely on natural remedies and always go to your vet. The faster you get the lump removed the better chance your rattie has to live a long, healthy life.

SQ and RatsDrawBlood like this.
  5. Jun 10, 2018 #25

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

True!
    But feeding a healthy diet, with a variety of daily vegs
    and giving healthy treats such as berries, cooked whole grains (like organic 12 grain cereal, or oatmeal, etc)
    will help

and added sugar does feed cancer

6. Jun 10, 2018 #26

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

100% agree, healthy diets reduce the chance of tumours by a large scale. But how about if the tumours are hereditary though?

7. Jun 10, 2018 #27

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

Heredity just means a greater tendency for diet (or whatever else) to cause issues. It's not like there are two types of tumors wherein one is inherited and the other's from environmental factors. Just if she's from a bad line, environmental stuff is even more important than if her parents were bred for health (or wild).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  8. Jul 4, 2018 #28

allie

allie

allie

I've read that tumeric, and I think specifically the curcumin in tumeric, has been tested on labratory rats and had been shown to prevent tumor growth or reduce tumor size, and also reduces inflammation, if I'm remembering correctly. It is best to find one that is a standardized extract and has black pepper mixed in, because that helps increase the bioavailability of the compounds, otherwise it is not completely absorbed by the body and therefore is not as effective.

I have also read that cycling it (as in 2 weeks on, 1 week off) may be more effective than continuous use.

As far as getting them to eat it though... :confused: