7 month old rat acting out of character and weary.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olympia✨

Both my boys are about 6-7 months old, are living together and came from the same litter.

Two nights ago after coming home from work (at around 1am) one of my rats, Obi, was extremely skittish and nervous. He didn’t come up to the cage as usual and just stayed hidden behind his exercise wheel. He was uninterested in coming out to play and taking treats (until I offered some cheese and he took it, but reluctantly) His brother Loki seems completely fine as per usual. At first I thought maybe he smelt something that freaked him out, but this has been going on for 2 days now. He’s eating, drinking and grooming fine and occasionally plays with his brother. I can just tell that there is something off with him though, he doesn’t want to be picked up much or even stroked often. He seemed alright-ish in the daytime today, but the odd actions emerged again now in the evening.

Any ideas? I gave him a body check to make sure no lumps popped up, his breathing is good, no extra porphyrin than usual and in general he looks healthy minus his behaviour changes.

Once we had a member ask a similar question but it turned out, they had a new balloon in the same room as the rats and that's what spooked one of them. Any changes in the home? Also, are the boys having scuffles?

Hiya ladies,

He’s actually completely fine now, I think it really was just a smell that may have lingered in the air that put him off guard since he’s back to his normal self now:p

But to answer the previous questions, there was no changes to the environment whatsoever and the boys do play fight quite often.

Back