6-7 old babies and CN?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashlynn

I recently got two 6-7 week old babies and I was wondering if the critter nation 1/2 bars would keep them inside? Pls let me asap!

I have two 4 (well now almost 6 weeks old) baby girls in my DCN, and it's perfect! I blocked off the bottom part of the cage, so they can't have the whole cage yet. They are perfect in it, and can only stick snoots out of the bars, just barely. If it was the ferret nation, it would be different.

Thank you! I had the cage set up and ready and they seemed ok but I was a little nervous going into night time when I can't monitor them to make sure they don't disappear on me. Haha, again thanks so much!

Yes I put my babies in there when they were about 3 weeks old. It wasn't the bar spacing I was worried about, but the height (falling). I blocked it off so they only had half the double cage, and I put in lots of rope nets, hammocks, ledges, etc. so that if they fell it wouldn't be far before they caught themselves on something.

Yes I put my babies in there when they were about 3 weeks old. It wasn't the bar spacing I was worried about, but the height (falling). I blocked it off so they only had half the double cage, and I put in lots of rope nets, hammocks, ledges, etc. so that if they fell it wouldn't be far before they caught themselves on something.

FosterMommy

New Member​

JoinedNov 20, 2022Messages2LocationLancaster, PA
Hello,

I am fostering two small female rats who were dumped outside in Harrisburg, PA in October. There has been a lot of news coverage about the release of hundreds of fancy pet rats. They both were pregnant and had litters. I have a single level Critter Nation I bought to house the two mothers and pups. The pups are now 21 days old and very small. Is the 1/2“ spacing on the Critter Nation small enough to contain the very active babies? The babies are about 3” in length at the moment and I do not want them to escape the cage as they could get hurt. Please help either settle my mind or provide advice. The fosters who are helping with the Harrisburg Rat Rescue are all new to rats and looking forward to your expertise. All advice is appreciated regarding the cage and baby rat raising advice as research has had conflicting results regarding aquariums, when to separate males from the litter, etc. Thank you in advance for your help!

Back