4 Fostermice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good so far ...
Glad everything is going so well
The mice look very sweet

Ummm ... I have a concern ...
Is the wire on the outside of the bin and top because it looks like it might be in the pictures?

If the wire is on the outside then they could chew the plastic and get out.
When the wire is on the inside it will help to prevent them from chewing the plastic at the openings and getting out.
In case you are wondering how to safely attach the wire, you can see in the video that Hopefloats made small holes in the bin and attached the wire grid to the inside by threading wire through the holes

next ..... mouse toys and redecorating LOL

Ummm ... I have a concern ...
Is the wire on the outside of the bin and top because it looks like it might be in the pictures?

If the wire is on the outside then they could chew the plastic and get out.
When the wire is on the inside it will help to prevent them from chewing the plastic at the openings and getting out.
In case you are wondering how to safely attach the wire, you can see in the video that Hopefloats made small holes in the bin and attached the wire grid to the inside by threading wire through the holes

next ..... mouse toys and redecorating LOL

It is but I duct-taped the outside AND inside to prevent chewing or catching on the rough plastic and getting cut or scraped. I am definitely making a better one soon... I'd like to do a double-decker eventually, but until everyone's more settled this will do fine I think.

As far as toys and redectorating go, I'm super excited to look into all the toys the rats were always too large for hehe but I need to do some research on dollar-store or thrift-store alternatives. And I don't think I'll be recycling a TP or paper towel tube without it being a cage first for a long while :winksmile:

Congratulations on the new additions! How is everyone getting along? It would be wise to keep an eye on Miss Mouse as wild mice, like rats, often maintain a bit of their wildness even when raised in captivity. This can potentially be a problem for housing domestic mice with wild ones but I hope these five are getting along. :)

The final update!

This has been quite the misadventure. I just want to post the conclusion.

As it stands right now I have 0 mice.

Introductions were going rather well. Miss mouse turned out to be a Mister mouse - his testicles suddenly dropped in the middle of an intro. He was getting along pretty well with everyone but Winnie who chased him around but was beginning to settle down. I was about two intros away from trying him in the bin with them when I woke up one morning and Mister Mouse had chewed his way out of his own bin. Where there was no whole before, there was suddenly a gaping exit, and there was absolutely no sign of him. When the other wee ones got out the odd times I always found them somehow. I left bits of food in different spots I thought he may be hiding in, closed off the kitchen, purchased a live trap, and no dice. The only time I found evidence of him being alive was when I was pulling some things out of my closet - I had put food back in there where it would be accessible to me and him but it was still hidden by my linens. I found some feces there as well as in my shoe closet, but no Mister Mouse :(

My theory is he either ventured outside or Nero ate him :( I would be absolutely ecstatic if he suddenly reappeared safe in my apartment and had been living off the dog's water dish and sneaking food from the cupboards, however I have not found any feces around the kitchen :(

I eventually gave the girls away to a co-worker from the hospital. She loves rodents of all kinds and was very excited to have them. After all of my foster-mice passed and one of the adopted females got out I felt very discouraged. The adopted female was found and the day after I asked my co-worker if she was interested in having them. She picked them up two days later - that was about six weeks ago.

I was horribly unprepared for this. I feel good knowing 3/4 were healthy and would have been fine if I had the proper enclosure from the get-go but that doesn't negate the fact that I could have handled this much better. I feel awful that due to my lack of preparedness and knowledge those two babies died needlessly and Mister Mouse may have too. I sincerely miss Mister Mouse, he certainly changed my opinion on mice as I'm not too keen on them.

So that was my mouse misadventure. If another orphaned litter comes my way I wouldn't hesitate to try again but I am certainly not looking for more. Needless to say I would much rather have rats! They seem to be much more manageable :S

Last edited:
Back