3 year old rat has a recurring infected sore

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseyb

hi, yesterday we noticed an infected wound on our 3 year old rats belly. he gets this recurringly in the same location, we dont know why and we dont think its his cagemates doing it since hes had this recurring sore before he even lived with his current cage mates who are young rats less than a year old. we took him to the emergency vet as soon as we noticed it had come back again, but ever since we tried to clean it hes been acting lethargic and hes been sitting in the same spot in his cage squinting his eyes for 14 hours now. i know they cleaned him up and removed a small piece of dead skin and it probably took a lot out of him but im just worried this is it. it just seems pretty sudden since he was walking around yesterday and climbing in his cage still. i want to see if the antibiotics help but im worried about the level of pain he seems to be in.

Sorry I missed this. Is the.sore above and 2 the side of his urethra? This could be a preputial gland abscess. Can you get a pic? If it is, were you flushing out the cavity after it opened and drained?

Back