3.5 week old babies in a 3 story cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NecroMade

Hello everyone! Sorry to not post anything in a while, it’s been a chaotic time for me.

About a week ago I took Snakebait to the vet with what looked to be the beginnings of bumblefoot (luckily it wasn’t infected yet and is looking much better now), and she is now on some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory/painkillers.

I have a vacation coming up where I won’t be able to take her with me, and I have found a veterinary hospital that boards rats and will be able to give her the medication she needs.

My mom noted that I may want to switch Skeever over to the smaller cage (the one Snakebait and her babies are in) which is a little over 2 cubic feet. Skeever’s cage is much larger but has 3 levels to it. The babies will be a little over 3 weeks old by the time I leave and I am still concerned whether it would be safe for them to be in a 3 story cage at that age.

Should I leave them in the current cage or switch everyone around?

At 3 weeks old my babies were in a single critter nation, with the top shelf and all accessories back in. Not sure how your cage compares size wise. At that point they were running and climbing around everywhere. I kept the cage pretty bare with no shelves before that when they were still clumsy and learning to walk. I think at 3 weeks old they should be fine.

Back