2.5 year old rat Medical intervention?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomixiu

Hi guys,

I'm supposed to take my 2.5-year-old rat to the vet in a few days for a dental procedure + a potential x-ray regarding a swollen abscess on his cheek.

The vet suggested gas anesthesia as opposed to regular and told me this is fairly safe because shorter in time, he's in a good weight range and quite active still, and that there shouldn't be an issue but when looking it up online I can only find contradictory statements.

I'm starting to get anxious over this as he's fine as it is (just doesn't eat solid food properly anymore) and don't want to take him there for something to happen and lead to death when he can have a couple of more months to live anyway because otherwise he's fine, still quite active, a good weight etc

The vet also gave him medications for 5 days (27th would be the last day on meds, the 30th I'm supposed to take him for the intervention). He's on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds

Any advice would be helpful, I just can't feel at ease with this at his age I guess and don't know much about rats (especially senior) behaving under anesthesia and what problems can occur

I'm not sure I can be very helpful, but I see you've had no other answers. To my mind, how well a rat will do under anaesthesia (any rat but especially one that old) will be mostly contingent on the ratty knowledge, experience & skill of the vet.
I'm concerned that he was given antibiotics for 5 days only, he certainly needs them for much longer than that, which makes me wonder about this vet's rat knowledge/experience.
I'm sorry, I'm sure that's caused you more stress without providing anything helpful, but I'd expect my vet to have him on antibiotics for at least 2 weeks. I'd want to get a second opinion from a vet who has more experience with rats if you can, before I let someone anaethetise him - and I'd want him on antibiotics until his abscess is cleared up (I believe ChlorPalm is a good one for facial absess).
I feel for you in this awful situation, I hope everything comes out well for your little guy.

Thanks for the answer :)

Indeed I thought about the same thing, that's why I looked for another vet. Unfortunately, they booked me in on the 13th of September (for a first consultation) and told me to call again on the 6th when the exotic vet is back from annual leave to see if someone maybe cancelled and they can squeeze me in :( Seems like a very long time, but I've got no choice because I have no other exotic vets around me

Thank you <3 Is there a way for me to give him antibiotics, not prescribed from the vet? Human antibiotics? The timing would be great if I could get him on antibiotics until the appointment on the 13th (hopefully sooner)

Update; just called in for the vet that gave me the antibiotics for 5 days and they pushed hard to come and have another consultation with him again and if the vet sees it fit, they will give me more antibiotics but not a guarantee..
Fairly sure I can order Baytril online - he also had anti inflammatory pills. Should I look into getting these as well if I can? (not sure the name)

Last edited:
I've ordered baytril & doxycycline online from pigeon supply sites, but they took a long time to come to me in Canada. In your position I would call the vet that prescribed 5 days and tell her I was uncertain about putting him under sedation, and ask if she can extend the Rx so he has them at least 2 wks and longer if necessary (that would not require another consultation). I don't know that you can get anti-inflammatory pills online, maybe she'd be willing to extend that Rx too? Is it Metacam? That is both anti-inflammatory & pain med..
Of course I'm not aware of her reasons for dental & x-ray if it's an abscess... so that's just how I'd be looking at it, just one person's opinion, you have the hard thinking to do.

I've ordered baytril & doxycycline online from pigeon supply sites, but they took a long time to come to me in Canada. In your position I would call the vet that prescribed 5 days and tell her I was uncertain about putting him under sedation, and ask if she can extend the Rx so he has them at least 2 wks and longer if necessary (that would not require another consultation). I don't know that you can get anti-inflammatory pills online, maybe she'd be willing to extend that Rx too? Is it Metacam? That is both anti-inflammatory & pain med..
Of course I'm not aware of her reasons for dental & x-ray if it's an abscess... so that's just how I'd be looking at it, just one person's opinion, you have the hard thinking to do.
I've found it as well on some website - not sure where they ship from, it says 2-4 days to the UK with express shipping so I think I might order because all together it's less than the pills + consultation at the vet haha

I did call the vet and tried to explain the situation about the sedation and everything etc and they said I'd still have to come in for a new consultation and if the vet sees fit to extend the antibiotics prescription, they will do so but no guarantees. Basically, paying for a new consultation and I don't even have a guarantee they will extend it. It's so ridiculous so I kinda have no choice but to order online and figure out the dosage and start giving him again (or go to another vet, again pay for a new consultation and get pills for another week). Not sure how to persuade them to just renew the subscription but it seems to me they're just after money (this + the fact that they want me to travel for nothing with my 2.5-year-old rat)

Not sure about what anti-inflammatory pills she prescribed tbh Metacam, can that be bought without a prescription?

Yeah, I hear your conundrum for sure, you're really in a confusing & very pricey position, I understand that. I know in canada they can extend an Rx without another consult fee but I don't know about UK. The only way I was able to afford having ratties all the years I did is because I bought antibiotics online because they're so frequently needed (especially in old kids), it left me able to afford the vet when it was something antibiotics wouldn't help.
I don't think you can get metacam without prescription, but I'm in Canada, you in UK, so I'm really not able to help with much knowledge.
I'm just not feeling real good about this vet (tho maybe there are things I'm unaware of), so personally I'd be worried about entrusting my old baby to her for anaesthesia.
I dunno, but I know your boy is in good hands with you, you'll make the best decisions for him you can.

That sounds so good. I didn't know in the UK they were going to be like this but apparently... And I fully agree - I need to take him to a proper vet as well, don't wanna waste money on people who have no experience with rats just for the sake of one prescription.

In fact, that's why I canceled the sedation appointment! I was supposed to have today and just prefer to wait until the 13th (the latest I hope). Because she seemed weird about the whole thing, super nice as a person sure, but told me to hold him and seemed scared of him in the beginning for a bit too, I don't know... although generally in the UK they do start with about 1 week of antibiotics. So you can go pay another consultation and get more haha good logic

Thank you, I really hope so. I feel guilty to keep him waiting like this but I definitely want to take him to the exotic vet instead ;; I'll be traveling to a different city for it but it gives me peace of mind as a lot of people with rats go there and they have a proper exotic vet. Hope this 'delay' won't be a mistake on my part in the end (for him) :)

Ordered the Baytril 10% anyway, will check the dosage and hope it will be here by Mon/Tue

Waiting to take him to a vet who is knowledgeable & experienced with rats specifically rather than a vet with no ratty experience is no mistake in my eyes - a vet is Not the same thing as a rat knowledgeable/experienced vet. Sadly, I learned that the hard way.
Whatever happens, he's so lucky to have a mom who wants to do the Right thing for him, rather than just any thing. You're doing the very best you can for him, and may even have saved him from dying under anaesthesia.
I send healing hopes for you & your boy.
P.S a chocolate chip a day is good ratty emotional medicine while you wait for the antibiotics.

100% just hope the wait is not too long. Teeth aren't actually THAT long and overlapped and his swollen cheek went down the tiniest bit, he's just really lazy and like a pudding so hope he will be fine until then. But I fully agree - my gut feeling was saying no to this so I followed it. This branch definitely didn't have an exotic vet and the other branch I got referred to (same company, vets4pets lol) mentioned an exotic vet but actually not, just an interest in this and in reality they are a small animal vet haha

I felt really guilty for not being able to save his brother when he passed (was much more complicated and he was super sick and didn't last longer than 3 days-ish, despite trying my best to offer the same options and I don't want that to happen again :( so I guess I'm a bit over the edge but I really REALLY wanna do the right thing

Haha aw, I give him something sweet daily, he eats slower than before but LOVES sweets and unhealthy stuff lol
Thanks for the kind vibes (and for the responses, I started losing hope haha) <3 Fingers crossed it will be well

Back