14 week old boy suddenly fearful

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimeee

Hello!

My little fella Corgan is going through some issues..

He's been with us for 5 weeks. When we first got him, he was super sociable (had been handled all the time), loved to get on your hand and come out, up on the shoulder, down your tops, and up your sleeve! He wrestles, runs around, has zoomies, popcorns, gets all excited at dinner, time, always after attention.

He had a couple of episodes of a couple of hours of just going completely still, he wouldn't move, even if you stroked him or tempted him with food.

The last two days, he's not been able to snap out of this. He is just hiding out in his hanging sock. He will take food from you and eat it, but he won't go to his food if it's left away from him. He doesn't want to be handled, he seems really scared, so we have just let him be.

His cage is a Blenheim - it's second had and used to be a ferret cage but has been deep cleaned. He is in my 'office' with my two guinea pigs and a fish tank, and me, most of the day.

We do have a cat and dog, neither are allowed in this room and after one of his early frozen periods we thought maybe he could smell the cat on our hands, so now I wash them each time I stroke the cat. The cat is out of the house most of the time, and the dog is 18 so not bounding around barking!

Nothing bad has happened that we can see to have triggered this. His bedding is the same (I haven't removed his week-old stuff as I planned today as I don't want that to make it worse), food is the same, we are the same. No loud bangs, no storms, no loud anything..!

What can I do? Should I take him out and stick him down my top, or is leaving him be the best thing to do? It's so out of character, we're a bit lost!

Thanks for any advice

Back