~1 year old male rat bleeding after neuter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

My first rat, Gus, was taken to the vet to be neutered today. The operation seemed to go well according to the vet.

At home this evening Gus seems to be licking/chewing at the surgery site, and appears to be bleeding.

Is this normal? Is there anything we can do until the vet opens tomorrow morning?

Thank you.

U310MWW.jpg

That's definitely not normal. Put a cold compress on it to try to stop the bleeding and keep him warm and hydrated to prevent shock. (I know it's hard to do both at the same time.)

Leave a message at your vet's ASAP, you never know if they check their emails overnight.

How's he doing? Is he lethargic or bruxing excessively? Was he given pain meds? Is there something sticking out of the incision?

I have left a voice mail and an email message with my vet. Thank you.

He seems lethargic compared to usual. The vet said he likely would be tired after the anesthetic.

The vet gave us 3 does of Metacam to take home, 0.03mL each. We gave him one does tonight about 3 hours ago, along with 0.05mL of antibiotics.

It does appear that something is sticking out of the incision to me, but this is my first experience and I haven't found many pictures online to compare to.

Normally, my rats would be almost back to normal by this time the night of a neuter. (I don't know what time zone you're in, it's almost midnight here.) Were you able to do the compress? Did it help?

Don't give more Metacam tomorrow before you get to the vet. It should not be an issue but it does thin the blood a bit. You may have to monitor him throughout the night to make sure he's not getting worse.

Where do you live?

I just noticed that also... I thought it read .3 ml, not .03 ml. Give him more, he's in pain. Rats should get 1-2 mg/kg post op...

My vet has responded via email and agrees that the incision appears to have opened. The clinic opens in about 8 hours and we'll take him in then.

We have given Gus the rest of the pain medication, a total of 0.09 mL (1.5mg/mL). Gus weighs about 420g.

Dosage information across the internet seems inconsistent.

The dosage recommendations have changed over the past few years and many of the dosage recommendations (for example Rat Fan Club) are pulled out of thin air.

Rat Guide does a pretty good job of putting all the recommendations in one place, with citations, and letting you decide for yourself. Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary is the source most exotic vets use so it's usually a safe bet to use those recommendations where they exist.

So they will likely do a repair and you can just insist on getting more metacam for him. Two days of a decent dose is enough for most neuters.

IF they refuse to give you more metacam or only give you wee doses again, then pick up infant liquid ibuprofen on your way home. The best one is Advil Pediatric Drops...the grape flavoured, dye free is one ratties usually really like.

http://www.advil.ca/en/product/advil-pediatric-drops

Then we'll work out a dosage for you.

I would've given your boy .22 cc minimum for his dose.

http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/meloxicam.php

I use a range of .5 - 2 mg/kg myself (as does my vet)

Your vet was using the OLD recommended dosing and was dosing your boy at.1 mg/kg which is useless post-op. We often have to double check metacam dosages for people as the vets aren't always keeping up with the NEW recommended dosages. The original ones were based on dogs, but they have discovered that rats tolerate metacam extremely well. :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The vet opens in about 30 minutes and we are on our way.

I will ask the vet about a higher dose of Metacam.

Hi its me Amanda. I hope Gus is doing better. My biggest fear was that Teddy would chew his incision but he did not. And like all the others have said, they usually do this because of pain. Im sure Dr Yelen will give you more metacam, and at a higher dosage as well. Just let him know what the rat shack said, he truths this site and is willing to listen to the the other members. Good luck with him!

Hello,

We have returned from the vet. The doctor was able to reseal the incision and Gus seems happy. He is eating and drinking.

The metacam dose has been increased to 0.06mL twice daily (1.5mg/mL).

Thanks again for all of your help and advice, it is appreciated very much.

Wow, what a scary incident.. I had one similar to yours last years when I had a lump removed from my girl Aurora. The vet sent us home with stitches in the incision and NO pain medication, and after a few hours, she ripped out all the stitches and there was a gaping hole in her side.. and since I live in a small town, stores all close around 7, and it was around 8 or 9 when her wound was opened, so I sat awake the entire night, watching her in a hospital cage so she wouldn't chew the wound. First thing in the morning I called the vet and made an appointment for that afternoon, and then ran to the stores and grabbed some infant ibuprophin to give her (it acts as a pain killer for rats!) and then, thank god, took a nap!

the vet used glue this time to close her incision this time, which I found out through here is usually better, they don't tend pick glue as much, and everything healed up nicely!

so even though it was terrifying, and a painful experience for both of us, it was also a learning experience that I should always keep a Ratty first aid kit on hand, and I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for the lovely people of this forum talking me through everything all throughout the night, and giving me amazing tips to keep both her and myself, calm and safe. This forum is an amazing resource, filled with amazing, knowledgeable, caring people who only ever want to help. :heart:

Back